Chapter 2

After a month in New Orleans things really felt normal

After a month in New Orleans things really felt normal. I ended up getting the job in the metaphysical shop. It was great to work around magic every day. My boss, Vivien, was pretty enjoyable to be around. And the night life was crazy. Thursday through Sunday Nights Lucy, Eva, and I would be at different clubs. We danced and flirted. I've seen Marcel a couple of times but we haven't talked again. And his vampires stayed away from me. Smart of them.

Bonnie was a new person in the city. Even Grams got together to have a weekly tea with Madame LaRue. The two were fast friends. Bonnie would come home every day with something that she learned. It wasn't always about magic. Sometimes it was about the witch culture or the city. She seemed to enjoy the time. "This was a great idea," Bonnie told me as we got ready for bed the night before last.

"I'm glad you love it here. I know you didn't want to come. And I don't want to force you into witchcraft," I replied as I sat down on our bed in my pajamas.

"you're not. I love it. All parts of it. From understanding what I drink in my tea every morning to accessing my third eye. I saw this woman today and I just knew she was pregnant and even she didn't know. It's not your empath abilities but isn't that cool?" She flopped down on the bed with a big grin. I beamed back at her.

"It is. It's absolutely amazing." She looked up at me upside down.

"I'm gonna be just like you," she said softly.

"You're going to be better than me."

"Nope. Not possible. I've felt the power of all the witches in New Orleans now. You're the most powerful one. We all know it. Even Madame Josephine knows it. You know there is this prophecy all the witches here mention. It's about the one who has the power to invoke Hecate. She's the goddess of the witches. One day one of her followers is supposed to invoke her and create this utopia for witches. A place where they can be themselves. Doesn't that sound amazing?" She turned over onto her stomach and I nodded. That was certainly new. I was no Chosen One. I'm significantly insignificant. "Madame LaRue thinks it could be you. Would you do it? Invoke the goddess?"

"If I could make a world that was safe and happy for witches of course I would. It's probably just a story. Now let's get some rest. The Midsummer festival is tomorrow. I know you want to enjoy the carnival."

The next day it was literally the longest day of the year. We all dressed up in our best sundresses. Grams wore a big hat, like those derby hats. Bonnie, Lucy, and I wove flowers into our curls. I even put a little glitter on, to truly shine. We headed out and to the Quarter where all the witches and tourists were. I saw Eva and Vincent right away. Vincent wore basic cotton but airy clothes while Eva was in a black and white sundress. "Eva! You look beautiful," I said and went up to hug her. We were both loners but I see what Vincent meant when he said she was full of light.

"Oh, so do you."

"You're both right. How lovely you all look," Vincent said and we all grinned at him. Ever the gentleman.