Chapter 3

When we got back to Virginia, I moved in with Grams and Bonnie. I didn't want to live in dorms anymore and I no longer had to. I planned on looking for my own place but I liked living here after the summer we had as a family. "Grams, do you know about Lorenzo St. James?" I asked Grams one night before school restarted. She shook her head. "He's a vampire that Grayson Gilbert has experimented on. But he's in a lab here at Whitmore. I wanted to know if you think I should release him?"

"Did you see him being released?" I nodded my head. Even without my help he would escape at that party.

"But not for a while. Maybe ten years?" Grams sat down and really thought about it.

"Well let's really give it some thought. I will let you know. Now do you still plan on talking to Qetsiyah again?" I shook my head yes. I had spoken to her a couple of times a year since I first contacted her. She had made some leeway with the other Bennett witches. They no longer wanted to help Esther. Which was a good thing. But I knew she was resilient. And she'd try to find a way. I was thinking about threatening her. I plan on doing the hybrid spell anyway but I'd do it early just to spite her.

I summoned Qetsiyah the day before the first day of school. "So did you enjoy your summer?" she asked me.

"Do you really care?" I asked her with a raised brow and she huffed.

"Not really but it's good to make conversation. So, you need to find my grimoire. You know what's coming. You've got less than two years until the vampires return."

"Do you think it's possible to call in the hybrid before they arrive? It's going to be four months from the time her parents might die. If that's still happening?"

"As far as I know, the Gilberts are meant to die. Just as the hybrid is meant to become his true self. What do you plan on doing about the tomb vampires?"

"I'm waiting for Annabelle. I'll force her to pay me to open the tomb when she first gets into town. I could use 100 grand or so."

"You make me proud." I grinned at her. "Now the grimoire. I don't know who might have taken it. It's over three thousand years old."

"I have out feelers. First for any grimoires of that age. Anything even close to being that old can't be bad to have on hand and are probably yours." We fell into a silence as I read. It was comfortable on my side but on hers, I could tell she was holding back. "Why does everyone do this with me? Just say it."

"There's this ritual I was thinking about. It was designed in one of my trances. I was the first one the gods, well one specifically, gifted with magic. One day she said that a witch would come along and be able to perform it. It links all witches together with the ley lines. It would boost your power and turn things on their side." I looked at her confused.

"I've never heard anything about that."

"You must have realized you change things just by coming here. You also know that you're not a normal witch," Qetsiyah said. We talked about it all the time. She didn't tell me what kind I was but I didn't remember weather being something that was controlled. "I have asked around. They think you're an enchantress."

"Which is?" I stopped reading to look up at her.

"They're rarely seen in history. In fact, there's only one other my contacts said they know for sure."

"Who?"

"Morgan LeFey," I didn't know how to react so I laughed. I mean I know Arthur is supposed to be real. "You've heard of her?"

"Arthurian Legends. In my first life I had a masters degree in English Literature. So she was like me? Didn't they kill her?"

"That's besides the point. The problem is I haven't been able to find her on the Otherside."