Chapter 5

I felt like I had saved Bonnie from so much already. And as a bonus, I was almost done with my degrees. Especially after I took a couple winter semester classes. Lucy was coming up from my graduation. So was Aunt Joanna, Eva, and Vincent. We were also getting to meet Zenia for the first time, which I was over the moon about. "Are you ready for Senior Year?" I asked Bonnie as we shopped in Richmond for my graduation dress and shoes.

"Yes. Are you ready to have a degree?"

"I mean kind of, I just have to go back and do more school."

"Yeah but soon you'll be some glamorous museum curator."

"There is nothing glamorous about dusty artifacts and books."

"I didn't mean the job. I meant you. You've always been that way. It's why it confuses me that you've never been in a relationship." I rolled my eyes.

"Not this again."

"Zenia has a cousin in France. He's visiting for the summer and I think you guys should meet. I've seen pictures, he's gorgeous. And he's a businessman and witch. Can't get better than that." I had no clue who this guy was, obviously. Especially since I have no idea who Zenia is. I'm assuming a regular Witch but I was slightly wary and waiting to get a read on her.

"I'll think about it," I said honestly. It was technically the summer where I was supposed to go on the date with Marcel. But I just couldn't see it happening. There was no way we would be endgame and I don't feel like going through the rollercoasters.

Graduation was a fun day. I had to take a summer class so it was at the end of summer. Zenia showed up in a cute dark silver dress with a high neck and black tights with heeled Mary Janes. Kind of Dark Academic meets witchy. I loved it. She was also the nicest girl. And I did see them have a future. "Wow. I thought Bonnie just thought highly of her older sister but your power is off the charts. Even without the extra magic," she said and I furled my brow. We were just standing outside with the other graduates. Bonnie and Grams left to get the car.

"How did you know?"

"I have a sort of sight of auras. Not very fun growing up but I can see your magic then another magic on top. You shine like the sun. And your aura stretches out from your body. Like you have a gravitational force. You'll attract powerful men, but I'm sure you already knew that." No one besides Marcel even deemed me flirt worthy. So I shrugged.

"I do like you, Zenia. What do you see when you look at Bonnie?"

"A lot of things. But if you mean my intentions for her, we have a future together. I know it. When I was young a Seer warned me about her. That she'd change my whole life. Start a new path. It's kind of cool." I nodded.

"So tell me about yourself. Only child? Any close cousins?"

"Six sisters. My family is quite lucky but a bit frowned upon. Not too many witches in the Quarter are willing to have more than one child. But I have a feeling you will change all that." I playfully rolled my eyes. It was where I wanted to settle down. I could see that now. If I had to live in this world, I wanted to be in the known.

I spent the last two weeks of summer traveling alone then when I got back, I helped Grams with her syllabus. I also applied for schools to start the next year and heard back from a program. I was thinking of just getting a lower level job in a museum at Whitmore so Grams put me in touch with them. It was nice and small. Perfect first job.

The night was the day after Halloween. Bonnie was already back at school even though she spent Samhain with Zenia. She called me in a panic. Apparently there had been a raid in the Quarter by the vampires. Stating they just wanted to remind the witches of how things were in the Quarter. Zenia was caught in the attack and although Bonnie said everyone was okay, just a few scrapes and scratches I still saw red.