Chapter Twenty-nine: Voices

Two days elapsed since Circuit had announced to Sala Te his decision. Unsurprisingly, Owl Eyes was shunned by Talon for not only being the whistleblower who alerted Lafa Re of his terrible act and befriended his archenemies but also for getting onto him for his poor performance when no one else would. This was difficult, as one could imagine. Talon and Owl Eyes were inseparable before the incident with Sights, but now Talon seemed to despise Owl. And over these past two days, Owl has tried to renew his brotherhood with Talon, though his attempts appear to be in vain...

It was now a matter of twenty-four hours before Circuit would officially leave for captain training.

It was early in the morning. All was quiet in the barracks, as most of the clone cadets were still asleep.

Vision, however, was already up. He had his bunk out as he read a conduct manual.

He wasn't the only one awake... Ember was too and gripped his bedsheets with a groan.

Upon hearing this, Vision glanced silently at Ember, "Psst! Are you okay?" He whispered.

Ember nodded, grimacing and giving off his higher-pitched involuntary laugh, "Yeah, Vis... Just my impulse..." He looked at his brother.

"That impulse?" Vision asked, "The one that earned you your namesake?" He set the book aside, focusing on Ember.

"That's the one... You know," He began slowly, "I really wish I didn't have to deal with my brain telling me to light- it's so tiring... I just wish that little voice in my head would just be quiet."

Vision blinked, "Little voice in your head?" He repeated slowly in a questioning tone.

"That's right. There's a little voice in my mind that just tells me to start 'you know whats.'" Ember replied.

"Ah- It appears that you are looking for a justification for your fire affinity." Vision told him in a matter-of-fact tone, "The voices in your head are likely impulsive thoughts. You have a chaotic personality, thus you are more prone to such thoughts."

Ember gave another laugh upon hearing "fire." "But it's not like that, Vis! If they truly were impulsive thoughts, I would be able to handle them after dealing with them for a while, but... I've dealt with this for a long time and it's just as bad as day one." He sighed, hugging his knees to his chest, "It's like I lose myself to the flames, Vision. It's so hard to explain..."

Vision scratched his head, "We will find a way to handle it through positive reinforcement. I have read a good deal about at psychological tactic and I believe it might be a step in the right direction for you." He climbed off of his bunk and maneuvered over to Circuit's, knocking on the end of his closed bunk capsule, and waited on the ladder for Circuit to get up so they could do their early morning studying.

"I guess." Ember laid on his back and let his knees go. He then crossed his arms with a huff, 'He doesn't understand what it is like to be me... This isn't something that can be fixed. I tried...' He thought, 'I just wish I was normal...' Ember closed his eyes and let out yet another laugh as he laid in bed, trapped in his thoughts.

Then came a small voice... Like a whisper. It was the same voice Ember couldn't figure out if it was his own thoughts or some other force interacting with him telepathically. He knew it was real and it spoke in an authoritative tone, saying only one word over and over. Fire.

Ember tensed and he sat up, beginning to tremble. He peered over the edge of his bunk, looking for something that could be used to satisfy that nagging little voice.