Chapter Fifteen: The Investigation

Sala Te sat in her laboratory, monitoring the clone production from a holo-screen. Her eyes scanned the statuses of the growing clones. "We have a new batch of clones being delivered in two hours sharp. Be ready to assist if needed." She told her new assistant.

AZI-83 looked over from the window where he watched the ever-raging storm, "Alright, Madam Sala Te." He replied, hovering over to her side, "It feels good to be utilized for my intended purpose again- not a clone nanny who doubles as a remote simulator target. It's terrifying living with the defectives on a daily basis. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have been traumatized by 'the arsonist' and 'energy cy-clone.'"

Sala turned her seat toward him, laughing softly, "Oh, you know you are going to miss being around them less."

"Would you like to bet? I would never miss the uncountable times Ember ignited the uniforms I spent hours cleaning, pressing, and folding. Neither would I miss Adrenaline trashing the room after I made it a pristine space. Oh- or Patches threatening violence upon me." AZI-83 listed, "Good riddance to all of that."

"What about Null? Would you miss being around him?" Sala asked, knowing where his soft spot was.

The droid fell silent before going to the window, sighing as he watched the rain and lightning, "Well- he's the only one who appreciated me when no one else did... He's my friend..."

Sala got up and walked over to AZ-83, laying a hand on his shoulder, "He is a very good clone."

"That he is." The droid replied, looking up at Sala Te.

The door to the laboratory slid open as Lafa Re walked in. She had already dropped Talon off to "serve his time" for his bad behavior. She glanced at her now "untrustworthy" associate and her former assistant, "Sala Te? May I have a word?"

Sala Te walked over, "Of course, Lafa Re. What is it?"

The door closed as Lafa moved further away, "It's regarding CT-2353."

"Oh- the one who goes by Circuit? What about him? I have heard he has been going above and beyond in his studies." Sala replied.

"That's the thing. He's unnaturally excelling. I have suspicions that he may be cheating or changing his scores on these tests..." Lafa replied, "He constantly aces almost anything he is put up against and it baffles me. I want this matter investigated, and I think AZI-83 is the perfect unit for that challenge. CT-2353 is already used to his presence, so him being around will be nothing out of the ordinary."

AZ-83 flew forward, "As tempting as that offer is..." He began sarcastically, "I would like to keep my ability to speak, thank you." He crossed his arms sassily.

Lafa gave a confused blink, "What-"

"Circuit is notorious for trying to silence me."

"Quit being dramatic." Sala told him, "It was one instance last night. That's what you told me."

"It was plotted." AZ-83 swore, shaking his finger, "Premeditated, I say!"

Lafa Re groaned, "Well if you aren't going to be of assistance, how will we find an answer?"

"I propose having Circuit tested." Sala Te replied, trying to mask her excitement. She had longed to test Circuit for a long time.

"How so?" Lafa asked, folding her arms with a disapproving look on her face.

Sala Te noticed her colleague's disapproval of the idea, so she knew that if she wanted a chance to test Circuit, she had to sell her case. "Well, Lafa," Sala began, "we could monitor his brain activity while we give him a quiz from a few months ago without warning since the memory of the content in a typical clone youth is faded by this time. I will oversee the trial, and whatever grade he gets should correspond with the amount of brain activity and memory recollection. If an unreasonable score comes back, it will be safe to conclude that cheating is a possibility."

Lafa looked down thoughtfully, rubbing her chin. "I think that is a good idea, and it doesn't require a procedure... I give you the authority to proceed with your investigation. Report back to me with the results when you have them."

Sala Te bowed, "Thank you, Lafa." She could barely contain her happiness. Her dream was coming true.

Lafa Re nodded, "Of course. I shall leave you to carry on with your duties." She left, the door closing behind her.

"Yes- finally I can seek the answers I have been searching for." Sala said happily. She turned around and laughed when she saw her assistant, who had left the conversation between the two Kaminoans as quickly as he had entered it, "What are you doing, AZI-83?"

The droid was tidying the lab, which was not one of his manufactured duties. This action was purely from habit. AZ-83 made a sound of panic as he scrambled away from the shelf where he was, "Oh no- I am suffering from trauma now- being a caretaker droid has fried my circuitry and damaged my memory banks- It hunts me down like Adrenaline's self-made game of 'chase the droid.' I never liked that game, and I certainly don't like this-"

Sala Te shook her head, "You'll be fine. It's just habit."

"I think I need therapy." AZI-83 whined, "Not only am I mindless to my actions, I think I am developing paranoia- the sounds of quick-paced running makes me want to throw myself out a window in an attempt to escape the inevitable destruction from children-"

Sala sighed, "Calm down. You make a big fuss out of everything."

AZ-83 crossed his arms, "I do not!"

"Sure- whatever you want yourself to believe." Sala Te replied.

AZ-83 regained his composure, "Well- I have something I need to fetch from the defectives' 'lair.' I'll bring it back here for you to work on and test, then I will clean up their room for the last time. I'll return soon- hopefully- if I don't, tell my story." And with that, he left.

Sala shook her head, "Knowing him, that thing will probably be something stupid like 'clone repellant.'" She joked to herself before walking back to her desk to monitor clone production processes.

'" She joked to herself before walking back to her desk to monitor clone production processes