Chapter Twenty-six: A Forbidden Friendship

It was no surprise Adrenaline had passed Owl Eyes quickly and ultimately won the race. Owl Eyes lost by about three yards, but he laughed it off and congratulated Adrenaline as they got into the line to wait for their squads.

Many cadets had arrived already, some intending to secure the top part of the line so they could go to dinner and back to their barracks sooner. The two friends held their spots around the mid-point.

Adrenaline looked at Owl Eyes, "Our squads will probably come soon. Until they do, do you wanna talk about something? I'm bored."

Owl laughed, "Sure. Wanna swap how we got our namesakes?"

"Ooh! That sounds fun! I'll go first!" Adrenaline nominated himself.

Owl Eyes chuckled and listened.

"So- I've always had a lot of energy! Sometimes I can get myself into trouble and I act like I am on edge all the time, so my brother, Vis, was the first one to give me my name, Adrenaline. He said that since my body is in overdrive all the time and I'm hyperactive, it's almost like I'm having an adrenaline rush all the time. That's how I got my name!" Ad smiled, "How'd you get yours, Owl?"

"I was one of the last of my brothers to get my name. There's not much that distinguishes me... I wasn't an exceptional shooter, fast runner, smart thinker, or leader. I am just an average cadet. The only thing I had a knack for was pointing out small details- for instance, Talon's uniform top being slightly uneven at times or how you were upset when you are typically happy. It's just a quirk of mine... Geo pointed this out and I got the name Owl Eyes for my keen ability to notice things." Owl smiled, "It's not as special as how you got your name though."

"No, Owl." Adrenaline countered, "Your story is special and your talent is extraordinary! I don't do well on details, but you seem to notice them right away! You have a gift, Owl."

"You... really think so?"

Adrenaline nodded rapidly.

"Thanks, Adrenaline."

"Of course! And Owl? You can call me Ad if you want. It's what my brothers and friends call me." Adrenaline told him.

"I feel honored that you are letting me call you that, Ad." Owl grinned, "Thank you."

Just then, Geo entered with his squad, walking down the line to find Owl Eyes. Circuit and the rest of Surge Squad followed behind. When the two squads found their brothers, they were in shock when they saw Adrenaline and Owl Eyes with their arms around one another, smiling. Never did any of them think that they would see a member from each of their squads interacting peacefully.

"Well I'll be..." Sights whispered to Vision softly with a smile, "I thought I could be the one to potentially end our rivalry with Talon and his brothers, but it seems like I wasn't the one who was meant to do that... Adrenaline has given us a chance at finding peace at last."

Vision's jaw dropped. He quickly closed his mouth, adjusted his glasses, and blinked, "No- It's a dirty trick... It has to be." He shot back.

Geo thought along the same lines, "Owly, I thought you were acting strange, but now I see that you have gone full-out mad!" He rushed forward and ripped Owl away from Adrenaline, pulling him back into his squad. Geo glared at Adrenaline, who stared in utter shock, "You stay away from Owly, you hear?!"

Vision jumped in and pulled Adrenaline back, "Don't you use such a tone against my brother! Adrenaline- stay away from that cadet! He's likely rotten like the rest of them! The last thing I need is for you to get hurt more than you already are today."