Chapter Twenty-two: Positive Intent; Twisted Measures

Upon hearing the news about a test, Circuit let out a sigh. "Whew- I thought with how Madam Lafa was acting, I was in trouble for something."

"Of course not." Sala replied, walking over to the storage closet to get brain-monitoring equipment.

Circuit watched her gather what she needed.

"Sit at my desk, will you?" Sala requested, "You will take the test there, and I will proctor from my datapad." She gathered a few more things before turning around.

He ran over to her seat and sat in it. It spun slightly, but Circuit corrected the motion by grabbing the desk and straightening his position before looking over his shoulder at Sala with a happy smile. Even though this was a strange experiment, he didn't ask questions. He trusted that Sala Te had his best interest.

Sala Te began hooking Circuit up with the equipment.

He giggled a little as the small monitor devices suctioned where Sala placed them. It tickled a little.

Sala Te connected the devices to her datapad and ensured that she had a live reading. She saw her device transmitting Circuit's brain activity levels, then nodded, setting the pad on her desk as she pulled up a two-month-old test.

Circuit looked at the testing subject, "This is an exam on enemy classes." He said aloud, "I took this a while ago... Why am I retaking it?"

"Just for a memory test. I want to compare your old score to the one months later." Sala Te explained briefly, "Now. There will be no consultation of any sources or rigging of the system. Just do the best you can. When you are ready, activate the exam." She told Circuit, stepping back with her datapad again.

Circuit nodded, took a deep breath, then began the exam.

Sala kept her eyes glued to the datapad.

Circuit promptly began working, appearing confident as he flew through the questions.

As Circuit tested, Sala Te couldn't believe her eyes! The information transmitted to her device indicated that Circuit's temporal lobe in his brain was more hyperactive than the rest of his mind when he focused on memory recall. He was bringing back all he had learned with impeccable speed and accuracy... And before Sala knew it, the testing had concluded, and Circuit's brain levels returned to normal.

Circuit smiled, "Nothing changed, Madam Sala Te. Still a one hundred like last time. All done! I had fun doing your test."

Sala Te was silent.

"Madam Sala Te?" Circuit asked, spinning around in the seat. He studied her pale, shocked expression. "Are you okay? Did your tests work?"

Sala blinked, then looked at Circuit, overjoyed. "Yes, Circuit. I've finally done it! After four long years, I finally found what the surge altered in you!" She rapidly saved the results to her datapad and hugged it to her chest, "Oh, Circuit! This is magnificent! This is a wonderful breakthrough!"

"Wait- so was this really an experiment?" Circuit asked with a laugh.

Sala Te gave a guilty smile, "Apologies for the trickery. It was more of a test to see if you keep academic integrity, commissioned by Lafa, but we found something truly special."

"Of course Madam Lafa would put you up to this." Circuit rolled his eyes, "At least we got something good out of this, right?"

"Indeed! Lafa Re must be notified immediately of the results! Come." Sala told him excitedly as she took his hand.

Circuit agreed and followed her as she led him through the halls, "So- where will we meet her?"

"Her office." Sala Te replied.