Chapter Twelve: A New Namesake

Lafa Re watched Null and his squad in shocked silence. 'Impossible...' She thought, 'This is unheard of! How in the universe could some blind clone have the ability to outperform standard cadets on day one?!' She stared down at the clones, her thoughts churning.

"Who are the 'defective' ones now, Lafa? Null has the technology to virtually never miss. The very cadet you claimed would never be fit for battle is a finer marksman than all the cadets here. The more he adjusts to shooting and training, the better he will become." AZI-83 stated proudly.

Lafa Re turned around slowly, trying to hide the bitterness behind her emotionless face. "Your device is impressive... However- since you have made these things and authorized surgeries without the clients' consent, I have no choice but to officially terminate your chances of returning to my service."

AZ-83 looked down and made a depressed noise. He knew what he was risking going into this, and now the consequences had caught up to him. He sighed, "I- understand... Who am I kidding? I'll never be restored."

Lafa huffed, "And you, Sala Te- by encouraging all this and assisting, I have lost my trust in you..."

"I understand." Sala replied, dipping her head.

Lafa nodded, "I do not trust again easily... Regaining my respect will be a difficult task." She spoke with disdain as she strode out of the control room, and the doors closed behind her.

AZ-83 watched her go. After a moment, he turned to Sala, "Well, I guess I'll go heave myself off a landing pad, now that I officially have no purpose... I never thought this day would come, yet here we are." He began to leave as well.

Sala Te caught his arm, "Now, you wait a minute. That won't be necessary. What if you come to be in my service?" She offered kindly.

The droid considered the offer carefully before responding, "I believe that is a viable option. You may not be Lafa Re, but I guess you'll do."

Sala chuckled, "I'm glad I'm mediocre enough for you."

"'Mediocre', for you, is a very generous term." AZ-83 responded.

Sala shook her head with a hint of an amused smirk, "And this is coming from the droid who constantly has an existential crisis."

They watched the cadets together contently.

Null's squad released from him, all in good moods.

Vision adjusted his glasses and brushed down his uniform, "I do believe that Null needs a name change now." He stated.

"Why is that?" Adrenaline asked as Zs began to fall asleep on his shoulder.

"His name doesn't suit him. It's a very sad name as well." Vis answered.

Circuit chimed in, "Well, he can see now, so I guess so."

Vis shook his head, "The definition of 'null' doesn't associate with sight at all; in fact, it is defined as having no value, being invalid, and lacking character qualities."

Null's squad looked at Vision in shock, "What? Really?" They turned their focus to Null.

"Why would you choose such a name?" Flashback asked.

"Well, you all have ignored me and discluded me. Sometimes I think I'm just a ghost because you all seem to forget that I'm there. I sit in our barracks day after day, doing nothing important, so I feel as if I have no importance- therefore, I call myself 'Null.'" Null explained.

Null's brothers felt horrible. They really had shunned their brother because he couldn't do the same things they could until now.

Circuit placed his hand on Null's shoulder, "I think I speak for all of us when I say that I am so sorry for treating you like we did. That was not right of me to do. You should never feel like you are worthless. You are as special as the rest of us. Will you forgive me, Null?"

Null nodded with a smile, "Of course I do. I forgive each and every one of you. We're a squad- special- born from a surge. We stick together, always. We are Surge Squadron... It has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?"

Circuit chuckled, "Yeah, it does. Thanks for forgiving us. Now, I think it's bound time that you pick a new name."

Null thought for a moment, "Well, I'm good at shooting, apparently- and I love lining up the sights on my blaster... I've got it! My new name is Sights." He announced.

His squad hugged him again, "That's a wonderful name, Sights. It fits you well... Much better than your old namesake."

"I'm going to remember this story forever." Flashback smiled, "This will be such a good tale to tell in the future."

Sights smiled, "Thanks, Flash. I'm so happy I'm with you all, included at last. You are more special to me than you know, brothers."

The rest of Surge Squadron smiled happily.

"Come on, Sights. We have yet to finish today's training session! The Kaminoans are about to make the droids fire back. We'll show you what to do next together." Circuit told him.

As brothers and friends, Surge Squadron got ready.

This day was so special to Sights. It was a day he'd cherish and never forget.

 It was a day he'd cherish and never forget