Chapter Eleven: In the Sights of Destiny

Vision and Null finished their work a few minutes before the testing period ended.

Vis was surprised at Null's confidence. As soon as he read out a problem on the test, Null almost always knew the answer.

That is because Null felt calm as he recalled the answers. He wasn't scared of losing the bet because he had security in his knowledge.

When it was time for release, Null's squad stood up, and Circuit began to get his brothers into formation. A few seemed more uncomfortable with their test performance than others.

Vis took Null's hand, walking him over. "So, Sub? How do you think you did? Did your test anxiety get to ya?" He asked.

Subtle nodded, shaking slightly, "I blanked so many times- I know that I know this stuff... It's just-" He began to get choked up. He covered his face to conceal the fact that he was afraid and on the verge of tears.

Null patted his back gently, "I think you did okay, Subtle. Don't worry about it."

Subtle took a few deep breaths, "Thanks Null." He whispered.

"We're going to simulator training next, Subtle. You always feel better when you're shooting a blaster." Patches told him with a smile of reassurance.

Subtle nodded.

"Okay, brothers. Let's move out." Circuit told them, walking out after a majority of the cadets had already left.

Flashback looked back at Null as he marched in rhythm with the others, "How are you feeling, Null?"

"Great! Thanks for asking!" Null replied as he tried to match his steps to his brothers'.

"I mean, you did wager a lot against Lafa Re. I hope you got above an eighty, brother..." Flash replied.

Null only smiled, "We shall see."

They entered a small room, and Null felt slightly claustrophobic, "Uh, guys? If this is the simulator, it's not as exciting as you say."

Circuit laughed, "This is the lift, Null. It'll bring us into the simulator. There, we'll grab our weapons and practice shots on targets."

Null nodded, just wanting to leave this small enclosure. He loved his brothers dearly, but he was uncomfortable with being so close to all of them. Soon, Null could feel the ground beneath him move. He was slightly panicky with this unsteady ground, but he felt better when he could see light and a large room filled with different barricades and structures. This colorless room intrigued him, as did all the objects around.

Overhead, Lafa Re, Sala Te, and a few other Kaminoans controlled the mechanics of the room.

AZI-83 was also there on a request to see Null in action and view the effectiveness of his creation.

Lafa began speaking through the speakers, "Attention. Grab your weapons and the simulation will commence."

Null began to run over to a weapon rack to grab a weapon, but then Lafa continued to speak.

"CT-2378? You are prohibited from participating, due to your extreme lack of experience. You'll be sitting this out."

When the speakers cut off, Patches looked at poor Null sympathetically, "She's really out for you, isn't she? I'm sorry, brother..."

While on the simulator grounds, Null's brothers offered support and love, but inside of the control station was the complete opposite. Sala and AZI-83 were standing up to Lafa.

"Lafa! What are you doing?! He has the physical capabilities to participate! Why are you depriving him of such an important experience?" Sala asked, angered that her colleague would act so cold towards a young boy with a disability.