Chapter Seven: The "Mission"

AZI-83 powered up to see Circuit bright-eyed and smiling,

"Wake up, 83. It's time to begin our mission!"

"Frankly, I'd hardly call this a 'mission.'" The droid sighed, "More like a service to a brother in need."

"Don't ruin this for me." Circuit grimaced softly, hushing him, "It's a mission to me."

"Call it what you will." AZ-83 glided away from his station and towards the exit.

"This is so exciting! I've never disobeyed curfew before!" Circuit laughed, "I'm getting goosebumps; I'm so excited!"

AZ-83 looked at Circuit and shook his finger at him, "Just because we are sneaking out once, that doesn't make it excusable for you to make future, unauthorized dusk exploration. Understood?"

Circuit looked down and away from his droid accomplice, gently grimacing, "Okay, fine-" He crept to the edge of the room, peeking out the door. "Coast is clear, 83. Let's go. Follow me." He quickly ran out and down the vacant halls.

Nearly every Kaminoan there had gone off to rest since it was in later in the night. It felt ominous to walk through these cold passages and hear the torrential downpour outside. Occasionally, the two could hear the city's metal support pillars creaking.

Circuit tried walking as quietly as possible to prevent his shoes from clicking on the floor. He was jumpy with every creak and the sounds of distant walking. He was terrified of getting caught. He didn't know if and when a door would open. "Keep up, 83." Circuit whispered, "The droid and parts repair ward is still a distance away."

So far, AZ-83 and Circuit had traveled with no problem, but suddenly footsteps, extremely close ones, began to sound their way.

Circuit began to panic, frantically looking around for a place to hide.

AZ-83 glided to a close-by doorway, activating the panel and putting in a clearance code. "In here!" He whispered.

Circuit didn't argue as he dashed in and closed the door, "You can do that?"

"Clearly, now HIDE."

Circuit hid in a closet and closed the door.

Not long after, the door opened, and the owner of this space entered. "Out of all the places I could have seen you again, you turn up here... It's funny- this is where it all started. My promotion and all..." The Kaminoan spoke softly, "How have you been faring, AZI-83? More importantly, what are you doing in my research facility?"

"Sala Te..." AZ-83 scoffed, "We meet again... You're curious about how I'm doing, hm? It's so nice of you to ask..." He replied sarcastically, "My life has been far from perfect, ever since you ruined everything for me! It's all your fault I was demoted, Sala!"

Sala put her hand on her chest, "My fault? I did absolutely nothing. You were the one 'sticking your nose' where it shouldn't belong, besides... I knew what you were doing. Lafa knew it too. You were after my job because I am Lafa's closest associate."

"What is this nonsense, which you have concocted?!" AZ-83 stammered, "I never was seeking out your status!"

Circuit stayed silent, eavesdropping on the exchange inside the room. 'Is it true? Did 83 actually try to take Sala's job?' He wanted to find out, so he pressed his ear against the door, listening intently.

Lightning illuminated the dark room from the window, and a loud clap of thunder sounded, intensifying the heated moment.

"Do you think I'm stupid?" Sala asked rhetorically, "You spied on me and sought out anything you could use to cast blame, confusion, and distrust on me. No one ever follows someone around wherever they go just to keep that person in check or make sure they are okay. You've stalked me, just waiting for me to stumble."