Chapter Twenty-four: The Deviant

Circuit and Sights chatted together about Adrenaline's fit and the promotion.

"Poor Ad... I can't help but feel guilty about taking the captains program slot now... I would crush his fragile heart if went through with it. I don't want to heart his feelings, you know?" Circuit frowned.

Sights put his hands on Circuit's shoulders, "You shouldn't feel guilty. This isn't Ad's choice, it's yours. As much as we love our brother, he shouldn't be an obstacle that's keeping you away from your dream." He looked down thoughtfully, "We all know Ad can be a bit immature when it comes to comprehending difficult situations. Just let him think it all out like Vis said. He'll come around eventually."

Circuit sighed, "I suppose. Thanks, Sights..."

Sala walked over to Circuit, "My offer still stands for you to make a choice by curfew. Take that time to really discuss this decision as a unit. I realize now that this choice impacts not only you, but also your squadmates."

Circuit nodded, "I'll take you up on that. Thank you, Madam Sala Te."

Sala gave a hum of acknowledgment in response, "I have been absent from my lab for far too long now and I must be on my way now. Goodbye, all."

The squad waved her off as she turned and left.

Patches glanced at Zs, who had resorted to using his shoulder as a headrest since Adrenaline had vanished. Patches and Zs exchanged looks for a brief moment before the "main support" spoke, "If you think I am going to let you snooze on my shoulder all afternoon and evening, think again."

Zs grunted and closed his eyes, not budging from Patches, "Watch me."

"Blast, Adrenaline! Get back here..." Patches muttered, trying to push Zs away from his shoulder.

♦ ♦ ♦

Talon's squadmates stood in the hallway just outside of their barracks, just talking about the day so far.

"Hey, Owly- did Talon score well this time?" Grove snickered.

Owl Eyes responded, "Yes, Grove... He aced the assignment. It was a pretty simple concept, so if he did anything less than the benchmark score, you would have heard about that from me already."

"True." Finch nodded, "Although, he should be expected to stay on par almost all the time as we do, but ever since he started really obsessing over annihilating the defectives, his performance has gone..." He made a whistling sound as his hand made a curve downward. When he reached the end of the downward arc, he made an explosion sound effect with his mouth.

"That's one way of putting it." Geo laughed.

"Quit overexaggerating." Owl rolled his eyes, "His scores aren't that bad."

Geo lifted a brow, "True, but he throws off our division's mean nonetheless... That makes us look... Average... Madam Lafa Re will never reward us if we continue to have that kind of performance."

Owl Eyes nodded reluctantly, "You- have a point... We should voice this to Talon when we see him tonight at dinner."

"Are you crazy?!" Grove gasped, "Talon would have an absolute fit if we called him out!"