Chapter Nine: Stepping into the Light

Circuit slowly awoke.

It was thirty minutes before everyone else typically got up. This was the time that Circuit and Vision studied together.

Circuit slid his bunk out and stretched, looking around. He immediately noticed that AZI-83 was missing.

Vision already had his bunk out. His was next to Circuit's. Vision had his book out, and he was reading about the builds of different blasters designed for warfare.

"Vis? Where's 83? He's gone."

The muffled voice of Patches, in the bunk below him, responded, "So? The real question is, who cares? Maybe he finally heaved himself off a landing pad."

Circuit slid over to the ladder and climbed down just far enough to give a few spiteful kicks to the end of Patches' bunk for those comments.

"CIRCUIT, STOP IT." Patches scolded in response to the banging.

Circuit kicked his bunk once more for good measure before climbing back up to his own.

Vision cleared his throat and adjusted his glasses, "I was going to respond before I was rudely interrupted by Patches, who is apparently going 'deaf' because he answered to the name 'Vis.' Anways, I don't know, but my initial thought was, 'thank goodness he's gone.' Come to think of it, his lectures may have influenced Patches' decreased hearing capabilities." He said thoughtfully.

"As you said, Vis, that wasn't my fault... AZ-83's useless lectures have rotted my ability to think and comprehend properly." Patches mumbled.

Circuit sighed, "Well- he figured out my plot to silence him last night, so we are still stuck with his blabber..."

Vision looked over with an impressed look, "Really? You? Plotting? That's quite a stretch from the Circuit I know."

Circuit chuckled, "There are many ideas and knowledge that circulate in this brain." He said as he set his index finger to his temple for emphasis, "I ought to use them in useful ways... Such as silencing a droid that doesn't know how to shut up." He grabbed his datapad and used the ladder to climb over to Vis' bunk to study with him.

"That's too savage- even for you." Vision snickered.

"I know, sometimes I surprise myself with these types of things." Circuit replied,

Vision hugged him, "Well, I'm sure 83 will be back. If anything, he's probably at Lafa Re's heels, pleading to be restored. Anyway, let's get to studying before everyone else wakes up."

Circuit nodded, "Okay, sounds great." He hugged Vis, then sat beside him as they began taking turns quizzing on the old information in Circuit's datapad, relating to what was taught that week.

♦ ♦ ♦

Null groaned. He slowly began to move his fingers, waking up. He focused on the sound of the storm and waves outside.

Null slowly turned his head to the left, where he last knew AZ-83 was, "What happened- is it over?" He asked slowly, his words slurring together.

"Yes, Null. Your operation is complete." Sala Te replied softly, "Now you are capable of receiving your gift." She strode over to the left side of Null and patted his hand.

"What's my gift? Where's 83?" Null asked, slowly coming back to consciousness.

"Let's start with your second question. AZI-83 left early when one of my associates alerted him that one clone cadet in your squad made a disaster of your barracks while another sent the mess, which was strewn across the floor, up in flames." Sala responded with an edge of weariness in her tone.