Chapter Sixteen: Bitter Thoughts

At the simulator, Circuit had employed Sights' suggestion he had made while at lunch. For now, Surge Squad had a more effective run-through than previous training sessions, especially when the targets were fighting back like they were now.

The cadets hid behind small barricades as target droids shot stun blasts at them.

"Someone needs to draw their fire." Circuit said.

Ember looked up, "Hm?"

"Wrong fire, Ember." Vision told him, "I nominate Adrenaline since he's just begging to get out there."

Adrenaline nodded rapidly, "I'll do it! Those droids won't catch me!"

"We know, brother. Do your thing." Circuit told him.

Adrenaline didn't waste a second more as he dashed off to the side, drawing the focus of the droids. He dove behind another barricade, " You're clear to move!" He called over.

Circuit nodded, "Advance."

He and his brothers quickly moved forward while Adrenaline distracted the droids. Well, all moved quickly except for Patches.

Patches trudged forward. He obviously wasn't trying to train. He looked like he didn't want to be there in the first place.

"Patches! Hurry up, brother! The droids know you all moved!" Adrenaline shouted.

Patches continued trudging at the same pace, almost like that of a droid's gait. Unsurprisingly, this resulted in him getting hit twice in the chest with stun shots before he could make it behind a barricade. He winced as the stun shots stung his skin.

"What are you doing?! You're off your game, Patches. Focus." Circuit told him, firing at the droids and successfully taking down a few.

Sights looked at Patches, "Are you okay? You're acting strange." His brows furrowed with worry, and he hugged his brother briefly.

"I'm fine." Patches told him quickly, "My mind's just wandering- that's all."

Sights frowned, sensing Patches was fibbing, "Okay- well- could you help steady me while I shoot the blaster? I haven't shot on my knees yet."

Patches nodded, "Sure. This will take more concentration since you have opponents. Rest the barrel of your rifle on the ledge of the barricade. Then, follow through with the shooting measures I taught you." He told him.

Sights nodded, following Patches' instructions, and he made a perfect shot on a droid, thanks to the aid of his visor's "seek mode." He slowly began to pick off a few more droids with his brothers. The moving droids frustrated him, however. "No fair..." He muttered, "Those droids keep moving away from my aim! I can't get a shot at them!"

"Aim where they will go, brother. Not where they are now or else you'll miss." Patches told him.

"Okay... Let me try that." Sights replied, aiming where a droid was headed and taking the shot.

Hit. It wasn't perfect, but it was a hit.

"Look! I got it! Did you see that, Patches?! Thank you!" Sights rejoiced.

Patches smiled a bit, patting Sights' shoulder, "Great job. Keep at it!"

Sights kept firing with a large grin on his face.

"Hey- I'm going to try and help Ad out. He's struggling." Patches told his brothers, holding his training blaster in a ready position.

"Very well, but be swifter about it, brother. The goal is to get the least amount of stun shots on you as you train." Vision told him sarcastically.