Chapter Nineteen: A Developing Schism

Circuit and Patches led Sights into Sala's office.

Sights gave a silent shudder at the decrease in temperature, "This is Sala Te's office all right." He tried to joke.

Sala Te worked at one of the monitors. She turned in her seat, spying the group, "Ah, the defective batch. It's good to see you all..." She laid eyes on Sights' visorless face and placed a hand over her mouth. She promptly arose from her desk and moved over to Surge Squadron, getting on her knees.

Although Kaminoans rarely showed emotion, it was clear that Sala had concern in her eyes, "Null? Where is your visor?"

"Here, Madam Sala Te..." Patches mumbled, looking down as he gently pulled the snapped visor into view.

Sala reached out and took the visor from Patches, "What happened to it? How did it break?" She asked.

Patches looked at his brothers and their faces of stone-like fear, then back at Sala. "It was an accident... We don't know how it broke."

Sala studied their faces with an unbelieving expression. She could sense that something was off, but she remained quiet. "I see..."

"AZ-83 made my visor, so he can fix it... Can't he?" Sights asked her, "Can he get to work on making a replacement now?"

"Yeah, Sala Te. Can he? We want Sights back." Patches reinforced, putting his arm around Sights.

Sala smiled a little, then fell back into her neutral expression, "He cannot make anything today. He has a full shift of child deliveries until o'nineteen hours."

Sights frowned, "Oh... I get it... That's okay. I can either stay here or go back to our barracks while I wait for a new visor."

Sala stood, "AZI-83 did, however, make something yesterday... It's another gift for you... Sights..."

"Another gift?" Sights smiled.

Sala Te walked over to a shelf where an object wrapped in cloth sat. "Indeed." She carefully removed the item and brought it over to the curious bunch of cadets.

"What is it, Madam Sala Te? What is it?" Adrenaline asked excitedly, trying to push his way to the front to get a good view.

Sala Te looked at the object, running her thumb over the protective covering. "The official visor."

Circuit gasped, "Wait- Official visor? Then what was...?"

Sala Te cut him off, "That visor was merely a prototype just to last Sights a short period of time, so he can assimilate into your ranks... However, it seems like the visor we have now was completed at the perfect time."

"I'm getting a new visor!" Sights exclaimed happily, "Oh, thank you Madam Sala Te! Tell AZ-83 he's the best droid ever!"

Sala laughed, "Of course. I'll tell him." She pushed the visor onto Sights' face and synced it to the chip implanted the day prior.

Sights gave a happy cheer when he saw again. He hugged Sala tightly.

Surge Squadron looked stunned as they saw Sights embrace the Kaminoan scientist.

"Is that permitted...?" Vis whispered, "To hug a Kaminoan superior...?"

Sala chuckled, "I do not mind, CT-2367. Helping Sights opened my eyes to see that my profession shouldn't be strictly based on clone creation and management, but also on being there for you all as well. Many Kaminoans, I included, tend to forget that you are still people despite being replications of DNA. You nine are special, and I have taken you all under my wing."