Chapter 32

"Well, if you're asking then I'm sure it'll be worth my while. What's the plan darling?" And of course, that obnoxious smirk of his returns and I think my dizziness does too as my knees go weak suddenly.

"You're going to help get me out of here." And the smirk drops again.

Loki's POV6

"I beg your pardon?"

Just when I begin to admire this girl she says or does something completely and utterly idiotic. Like this. Attempting a second escape just over a week after the first one? Surely, she must be joking.

"You heard me. I'm escaping. For real this time."

Okay, maybe not.

"Yes, do you even remember what happened last time? You don't actually think you can escape them, do you?"

"I have to try. And hey, without the limitations and your help, my chances just got a lot higher."

Well, someone sounds confident.

"And how exactly am I supposed to help you with this?"

"I figured you could come up with some sort of distraction. One that would last long enough for me to do all the technical stuff and split?"

"Wow. Okay, and why would I do that for you?"

"Oh, come on. Mischief is your middle name. You're telling me you don't want to be involved in an elaborate scheme against a common enemy?"

"Please, I hardly tolerate you. Surely not enough to help you with anything simply for entertainment."

"Well then let your displeasure for me fuel your fire. Help me get out so you don't have to put up with my whining or invasions of personal space I don't care. It'll be the last thing I ask of you." She looks up at me with those kitten eyes, her hands together pouting. I roll my eyes hiding the actual effects this girl is seeming to have on me.

"Why do you want out so badly anyways? With those bounty men out there, I thought it was in your best interest to stay?"

Her eyes shift at my question. Whatever nerve I've just struck must've been the very one causing her all of this turmoil these past two days. But what is it? She hangs her head silently and I watch as she attempts to formulate an excuse.

"I um... I just need.. I- I can't deal with them anymore. I mean, just a week here and look at what their restrictions have done to me. I can't lose myself again. I won't."

To anyone else perhaps her fidgeting would have come across as discomfort to admitting what she just did. But I know a lie when I see one. No matter how good the act may be. I just know that if what she was saying was true it'd be impulsive. And this girl was anything but. She was clever. calculated. She only wanted to appear impulsive to feed into the image of childish insanity. Which was indeed dangerous. But the fact that she was actually manipulating everyone at all times with this made her even more threatening. I'm very familiar with using these silly facades so that others overlook your true strengths. There's a certain power that comes with being underestimated. 

"This wouldn't happen to have anything to do with whatever it is Natasha has held above your head, does it?" I know I've got her now when her eyes finally focus and her body stills. 

She tries to shake away my reminder to the fact she had clearly forgotten and not thoroughly thought over, but I don't let her.

"That's not important now-"

"That was part of the deal was it not? I helped you with the limiters, so what is it? Why do you suddenly need out so badly when leaving this tower means putting a target on you head?"