Chapter 21

Well, I have always been a fan of trouble.

Chesire's POV

You should have seen the look on their faces. Now, I know what you're thinking. Fury is probably waiting for me on the bottom floor and if he's not he is most definitely on his way now. Yea, the current situation is not ideal, and I don't really have a plan, but I panicked. It was an impulsive decision. However, I just escaped a life of experimentation. And I'm not going back to that.

So, at the moment I am trying to figure out how to get this damn collar off and think of a way out of here. The stupid thing isn't budging though, and my stop is coming up quick. I stop what I am doing and instead open up the emergency door in the ceiling of the elevator and climb my way up. This way I can at least hear if there is anyone on my floor before I try and leave. Once I've done that I close the door again and the elevator stops. I hear a ding, and wait for a second, but nothing follows.

I'm suspicious, but what are my other options? I climb back down and leave the elevator. The room is completely empty and eerily quiet. I see the exit all the way on the other side. Just as I start sprinting towards it, a loud alarm goes off and the lights begin flashing red. The obnoxiousness of the buzzing stops me, but I turn around at the sound of the elevator door I had just came from dinging. The doors open slowly to reveal all of the Avengers suited up and furious. They exit swiftly with their weapons aimed at me. I then watch as the windows are covered by a large sheet of metal, slowly making its way towards the door. I turn back around and continue my desperate run as tears blur my vision. I'm distracted by everything going on that I don't even notice the newcomer standing in my way. I bump into the man, and he drops the large grocery bags in each of his hands to the floor in order to steady us.

"Grab her!" I hear someone shout from behind me followed by a, "What the hell is going on?"

I try desperately to escape his literal metal grip on my waist. But my pulling and pushing and fighting and screaming does nothing. I watch as the metal sheet finally reaches the door and encases my last hope of freedom.

"LET ME GO!" I sob repeatedly when suddenly the same high-pitched whistle from the other day stabs my eardrums once again. My hands leave my captors to cover my sensitive ears and I let out a scream of pain. It seems never ending and ten times more painful than before. I begin to sink into the safe and comforting arms that once seemed threatening, and he embraces me as we fall to the ground together. The whistling begins to vibrate in my skull and my eyelids grow heavily. The last thing I see are those familiar baby blue eyes before being enveloped by darkness.

...

"Daddy, where are we going?" The young girl asks from the back seat of her father's old pock up.

"I said shut up!" The scruffy man she once knew to be her hero replies coldly.

The two had been driving for so long the girl didn't even know if they were in the same state. And she wouldn't be surprised if they weren't. It was her twelfth birthday, and any normal family would be celebrating the fact. However, this was no normal trip, and they were no normal family not anymore. The girl had always dreaded her birthday anyway. And so did her father. Ever since the accident. It was a miracle he was even driving today. The anniversary of his daughter's birth, and his wife's death. Just three years ago. Three years and he still can't stand the sight of her.

At the moment the girl was too panicked to read his mind and find out where they were headed. He was not in the right state of mind to be driving. Instead, she sits there with her long brown hair hanging in her face as she holds her white stuffed kitten in her arms. Her head only rises when the truck finally pulls to a stop. The building they pullup in front of is quite large and seems to be old but rebuilt here and there. They were just on the edge of a big city somewhere, and there surrounding area gave the girl rising discomfort. It was late at night which didn't at all ease her anxiety when she couldn't see anything not lit up by the truck lights.