Chapter 30

There's only one way I can think of to get out of this. And it'll be almost impossible to pull off by myself. But who do I trust enough in this tower to help me out? And can I do it in 33 hours?   

---

"We were right Sir. There were only two with her. But they've got her."

It's been days since he made the call for backup. And now those damn Avengers have his prized pupil. 

He sits back in his chair, resting his feet on the desk while he sighs in frustration. He pulls a glass and a bottle from under his desk, signaling for his pawn. He quickly approaches, lighting a cigar for him before stepping back. Finally, he takes a large drink of his scotch before speaking.

"I suppose it was only a matter of time. No worries. Mr. Goodman should be landing in New York tomorrow. She'll be home in no time. I'm sure she won't be causing any more trouble while Mr. Willson with us. And especially in his condition. Go and tell him the good news. If things go accordingly, she'll be back by next week. Well, Willson should hope so anyway. If not, he may be our first test subject for the new vaccine. An eye for an eye."

---

Loki's POV

"-thanks for the mediocre breakfast Stevie"

After Cheshire's abrupt exit the room relishes momentarily in the silence. 

"What the hell just happened?" The hawk asks.

"Your damn partner scared her off that's what." Tony accuses.

I just sit back in silence. Shaking my head with a sigh I continue with my breakfast while they converse about the 'situation'. 

Now, it is obvious that the girl in question has some skeletons in the closet. Of course, everyone is practically dying to know, but they are heroes after all. They think that they deserve anything and everything just because of their titles. None of them are used to working for peoples trust because, well who wouldn't trust a hero? Cheshire wouldn't tell just anyone about whatever secrets she holds. Let alone the very people she hates most after Hydra.

Just upon first meeting, I could sense the powers she possessed. At first, she held her guard up, I think mostly because of the witch. But after understanding her a bit more, I think she realized that Wanda wasn't going anywhere near her mind. That was when I started noticing it a bit more. The mind reading simply operates differently. It takes a lot of energy. But the inner monologue tends to be amplified. as if thoughts are conversation with the self. In her case however, its rather extreme. I suspect it to be due to her constant neglect of the power. I truly wonder why she would do such a thing. It's an incredibly useful gift to have. especially naturally. And I imagine the mid reading was natural if she said the rest were given to her by Hydra. And the stronger it is, the more it takes to silence. So why?

"I was only asking a question. We're trying to learn more about her, aren't we?"

"What happened to giving her a chance to open up on her own?"

"Yeah? Well, she's running out of time."

"She still has a month?"

"Look, she's suffered, but look at everything we went through with Bucky? I get it and I'm glad we did what we had too, but this girl hasn't just fell into our laps. And look at everything Hydra is doing to get her back? I mean, she's enhanced. They're not just gonna let a project like that go easily. I she really worth it after what we all have been through these past years?"

The room goes quiet again. Not with confusion or tension, but in consideration. They were actually taken her words into account. 

I scoff, shaking my head again. Thor looks over at me, brow raised as if to say, 'whatever you're thinking, don't'. I hang my head and smile at their ignorance before standing. All eyes look up at me, Thor grabs my arm to sit back down, and I shake him off.