Chapter 15

"What did you do to him?"

Cheshire's POV

I look the beautiful red head just two feet in front of me in the eyes which reveal nothing but concentration, and determination.

Well, this wasn't supposed to happen.

"Oh, don't worry. It was just a little poof. I promise he's not hurt. However, the rest of you might be if you don't leave me alone." I say carefully as I slowly lift myself off the table with my hands up.

"Look around kid. It's never going to end. The running. If not from us then Hydra. But it doesn't have to be this way. We want the same thing."

She finishes her statement calmly and still, eye contact unwavering. And I stop to take in her words.

She's right. We can't run forever.

Yes, we can.

That's not true. We are more and more at risk every day we go out.

And what would happen if we went with them huh? It would be the same torture as before. She's manipulating us. We can't trust anyone but ourself.

"Oh please. You're just like them. You would put me in a cage to be poked and prodded at like some... animal! And besides, I've made it this long running and I would rather die than let all of that go to waste."

I notice Natasha go to say something else, but I teleport to the roof above instead of listening to her pointless pleading. I crouch below the short wall at the edge of the roof and hear a sigh come from the room I was just previously in followed by a hushed conversation through her com which I could luckily make out.

"She's gone again. I don't know where, but she was just here and Clint's out again. His arrows are gone so she must have taken them. It'll be a hell of a lot more difficult getting her without them. Sorry fellas, but it looks like it's back to base until we can trace her again."

"No. We'll keep looking. She couldn't have gone too far. We found Clint's arrows just outside of the building. Everybody regroups. Tony, Sam, without Clint you're going to have to load the darts into your launchers. Close the perimeter a bit and stay in the air. We don't have enough to load into our guns, so shoot on sight. I'm not giving up yet."

"Got it. I'll take care of Clint and make my way down."

Ok, this is bad. We don't really know where we are and we're running out of energy so we can't teleport very far.

We could stay invisible for a while and hide?

And wait for them to leave? Who knows how long that will take? And they're everywhere. They'll find us invisible or not. I say we make a run for it.

What!? No way! We're good at hiding. Running in this situation is too risky.

No riskier than sitting here doing nothing.

Suddenly I start hearing something in the air get closer and closer and I go invisible. Then, a large red and gold suit zips past me with a man in a red and grey wing suit just behind it.

"Still no sign of her. We need to split up. Cover more ground. I'll send Red Wing out too."

"Roger that. I'll have Jarvis on the peripherals. Jar, swipe the area."

With that, Wings goes somewhere off to the left while Tony goes right.

Ok, Now's our chance. We gotta go now!

I then let down my invisibility and start running as fast as I can in front of me and begin jumping from building top building top. My legs ache and my chest tightens but I keep pushing until I feel a gust of air run past me and stop at the edge of the roof keeping me from jumping any further.