Chapter 9

"Hey Buck, you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm good, I just... never mind." He trails off and walks past me.

Steve's POV (Day After Intrusion)

After Fury left yesterday, we decided to leave planning for the mission off for today. Before that though I wanted to go into town after running for a cup of coffee at the cafe. The coffee we have at the tower is nowhere near as good as the coffee there. Plus, the barista Molly is very nice. 

Once I get there, I open the door and notice only a few people inside. I walk up to the counter and scan the menu while I wait for Molly to show. Then I hear the doorbell ring and Molly comes in to greet them.

"Morning Chesh, your regular?" 

"No actually. I have somewhere to be this morning, so I'll just take a coffee to go please."

"Ok then. Here you go, that will be $3.12."

I then look up to see a small girl wearing a blue hoodie and black skirt anxiously digging through a backpack half her size for some change and I step in.

"Let me get that." I offer already handing Molly the money.

"Thanks, y-you really didn't have to." She stutters a bit but laughs it off.

"No, but I wanted to." I respond finally looking down at her. At first, I don't recognize her, but then I look into her green and blue mis-matched eyes and I remember. I notice her face slightly panicked. I take a minute to analyze the situation but before I can do anything, she runs out of the cafe saying goodbye to Molly.

"Sorry about that Steve. Are you ready to order yet?" 

"Thanks Molly, maybe later though, I gotta go." And without another word I run after her and call Nat.

"Nat! You and Clint need to get down here now. I found Cheshire."

"We're on our way now."

"And Nat? Tell Clint to bring his tranquilizing arrows." (End Call)

I'm quite a way behind her, but luckily, I can spot her hoodie pretty well in the crowd. I see her look around before turning into an alleyway and I hear a car pull up behind me.

"Well, that was quick." I say as the two step out of the car.

"We were in the area. Knew you left the cafe and then we saw you running." Nat replies as she pops the trunk and hands me and Clint our coms while he gets his arrows.

"Okay, Clint you go up into one of these buildings. Find a clear shot and when you're ready, take it. Me and Nat will be on the ground trying to distract her."

"Got it." He says already on his way up. Once he's gone, we turn into the alley, and we notice her pick up the pace. 

"Miss?" I yell out to her, and she hesitantly turns to face us. "We just want to talk."

"Yea, well I don't."

"We don't want to hurt you kid, just come with us and we can talk." Nat says warily with her hands up.

"Like I said, there is nothing to talk about, and I'm not going anywhere with you."

Suddenly, she looks up in Clints direction and moves out of the way of an arrow. Immediately Nat and I take off towards her, but she grabs the arrow and disappears in a purple flash.

"Barton, do you have her?" 

"No, I don't see her." He replies with a small giggle in the background.

"Clint, we're gonna split up, she couldn't have gone far but keep an eye out." 

Silence. "Clint?" Silence. "Clint!" 

"You go check on him. I'll go after the girl. Be careful." 

Just a second after she leaves, I feel a tap on my shoulder, but I turn and there's nothing there. This continues for a moment and when it does stop, I hear a whisper in my ear, and I jump. Then another Purple flash appears along with the girl only a few feet in front of me.

"Careful there Captain. Wouldn't want you to hurt yourself now, would we?" She says smirkingly.

"Steve, Clint is down." Nat says over the coms.

"You take care of Barton. I've got the girl." 

"Let's dance, pretty boy." And with that, I charge.

After a while of fighting, I finally pin her down, but she stops her struggle to reach down and pulls out a knife, which she stabs into my leg. I fall to the ground with a groan, and she comes up to me taking out my com out. I don't protest but instead watch with confusion and curiosity. 

"Hello Ms. Romanoff, how's Mr. Barton?" She asks, speaking into the com tauntingly.

I can't quite hear what Nat says next, but Cheshire begins speaking again.

"Is that concern I hear? Perhaps even a bit of... desperation?" She continues sarcastically.

"Oh, don't worry. It's just a little scratch. However, if this silly game of chase continues, I won't be so nice next time. Remember Agent you are not my enemy just as I am not yours. The Avengers are simply an obstacle. So, tell Fury to stay out of my way and I will stay out of his."

And with that, she crushes the com under her foot.

"Thanks for the coffee and workout, but I really do have to go now. And by the way, you should really put a band-aid on that." She says with a wink and condescending wave as she leaves the alley.

"Steve!" Nat yells running toward me. "What happened?" She says looking for injuries when she notices my leg and sighs in relief. "C'mon. I called Sam. He's on his way to pick us up now." 

"What about Barton? Is he okay?" I ask as she pulls me up to walk to the car.

"He's fine. Just unconscious." She explains when Sam pulls up.

"Well, he'll be a lot better when we get him home."

---

After I get patched up and Clint regains consciousness, we find ourselves in the meeting room once again. 

"Looks like we are going to need a plan sooner than we thought. She is still in the area as of half an hour ago so she couldn't have gone far. I've already sent out agents to cover all area within a 50-mile radius. I want you all searching warehouses, abandoned buildings, hotels, motels, whatever. Stark has Friday on security cameras within the perimeter along with any large energy sources." Nick announces as we suit up.

"From now on, if anyone makes contact, they are to call for backup immediately before proceeding."