Chapter 49: Family

Naruto was simply overwhelmed by the tirade of tingling sensations that were passing through his entire body. It was the same feeling from all those years ago when he accidentally kissed Mikasa...yet at the same time this felt completely different and unique.

For the first time in all these years, he was happy. In this moment, nothing in the entire world mattered to him as his eyes were just fixed on the beautiful blonde girl that was kissing him.

The feeling of being loved by someone, that even after everything he had done...there was still a little happiness left in his miserable life.

And he just didn't want to let it go away...

Rangiku was surprised when he slowly entangled his left hand behind her head slowly caressing her beautiful hair, while his right hand gently stroked her cheek affectionately as he deepened the kiss.

At first gently and lingeringly, almost tentatively, and then more insistently, her lips parted to allow his tongue to coax her's to meet it. Complying, she deepened the kiss, the hand in her hair holding her tightly to him as he stole the breath from her lungs.

"Get a fucking room, you idiots!"

A frustrated sigh escaped from Naruto's lips as he slowly broke the kiss and noticed all the remaining blacklight intently watching the scene.

He spotted a few rookies looking at him as if he was Kami himself, probably due to all the stories they must have heard about the great "Commander Phoenix"...it was still a mystery to him as to how he transformed from a mere soldier into a legendary leader.

Iwashi and Anko were giving him mischievous winks, guess these two were still the same.

Shizune had practically stars in her eyes as she witnessed the most romantic or at least most loving display of feelings between her two friends. Knowing her, Naruto had an idea she was imagining this situation to be a fairy tale where the prince comes to save his princess...though in this case, he came for all of them.

Genma's eyebrows were twitching as he tried his level best to hide that slight blush on his face.

Izumo and Hana were lying peacefully beside each other, and while they were in pain he didn't miss the happiness in their eyes on seeing him.

And finally there was Mikasa...his gaze softened when he saw her looking at him tearfully. But what happened next shocked everyone as Mikasa quickly placed her tanto on Naruto's neck.

"Tell me who you really are...or I swear to god I will kill you"

"Oi Mikasa...what are you doing?"

Rangiku's angry voice didn't deter Mikasa's piercing gaze as she pressed her weapon a little on his skin, as a small amount of blood started leaking.

However everyone was surprised when Naruto grasped the weapon and slowly lowered it from his neck, while continuously staring in Mikasa's tearful eyes.

"The only thing that matters is survival...you've changed, Mikasa"

She took a step back on hearing those words as only two people in the entire world had heard that phrase from her. One was Armin and the other...

"It's really you..." said Mikasa in shock,

"As long as we are together, you won't be alone. We're family...Mikasa" replied Naruto in a familiar tone, as every doubt disappeared from her mind on hearing that sentence.

Naruto was surprised when she jumped at him and quickly engulfed him in a warm hug as tears freely flowed from her eyes. A small peaceful smile came on his face as he happily returned the hug.