Chapter 39: Descent into Darkness

"...has been killed"

Those three words struck clean through his heart as his eyes widened in shock. His lips opened slightly in an effort to say something, but no words came out of his mouth and looking at the broken look in his father's eyes was enough to validate that it was true.

Minato watched sadly as his younger son took a few steps back, the shock was clearly evident on Itachi's face combined with the anger that was slowly developing inside his heart.

Murderous sharingan eyes bore into devastated blue eyes, as the son looked at his father with disbelief.

"Why?"

Minato was surprised with this question, his son's tone was so low...it was as if,

"Why does it always have to be my brother? Why does he always suffer while I..." said Itachi sadly, his voice was full of guilt and regret as tears started to appear in his eyes.

His father came forward and put a gentle hand on his shoulder, Minato slowly knelt down so he could look his son in the eye.

And he saw it, the pain, the guilt, the anger...and most of all the regret.

"It's not your fault..." said Minato comfortingly, as Itachi shook his head vehemently.

"I should have been there, I could have done something...instead of sitting in this FUCKING VILLAGE!" yelled Itachi furiously,

"Calm down..."

"What did you say? Calm down? My brother was killed...while I sat idly in the village." said Itachi bitterly,

Minato looked in his son's eyes and for the first time he found something disturbing. Itachi simply couldn't accept that Naruto was defeated...and intentionally was blaming himself for his brother's death. Was this the unconditional love that many Uchiha were never able to control?

Even if Minato was from the Senju lineage, and his sons shared his blood...they were still half Uchiha.

Naruto was the second person in history after Madara to activate the Mangekyo when his best friend died, he had regularly read about his son's activities and Naruto was literally losing himself every day in the war.

Baku even mentioned that Naruto was suffering from the Curse of Hatred, and there was a lot of darkness in his heart.

He only had one son left, and the cracks had started to appear in him too. There was no way he would let Itachi walk the same path as Naruto...

If Itachi was like this, then Mikoto...

"It would be a disaster, if she finds out Kushina killed her son then she would not stop until she destroyed the Akatsuki or herself. Her love for Naruto was far greater than what she had for both me and Itachi, he meant everything to her. I can't let that happen..." thought Minato worriedly,

But what could he possibly do? If he didn't do something, then two insane Uchiha's would be unleashed on the world...two people who would only live for revenge. They won't care about themselves or anyone else if they got justice for their fallen son/brother.

All this time he had thought Mikoto was the center of the family, only to realize that it was Naruto.

And now he was gone...