Chapter Forty Nine

The dead man fell inches from a sobbing Rebel who clung to Bailey.

Dom called 911 on his cell even as he kept an eye on Rebel and Bailey. Rebel pressed hard on Bailey's chest, trying to stop the bleeding.

" Ambulance is on the way," Dom said as he dropped to his knees next to them and felt for a pulse on Bailey's neck. Shit. It was weak as hell.

Bailey opened his eyes and looked from Rebel to Dom. " Take.... Care..... Rebel...... Please......"

Dom wished that ambulance would hurry up. " You take care of him. You're his manager. That's your job. You're going to be fine, man. "

Rebel cried out," And you do a great job of it. I'm sorry I've been a pain in the ass to you, Bail. You're the best manager in the world. You're my best friend. Please don't leave me! Please! Stay with me. "

As they huddled in the foyer next to the badly injured man two things happened.

The door to the elevator opened and out rolled two paramedics with a stretcher.

And Emily Jean Gibson Lewis lay herself down on her brother's bed , her hand stroking the furry muzzle of Rafe who was also on the bed. " I'm sorry, Ricky Joe. I'm sorry. I can't move on. But God said I can make it better again. "

Then her other hand lifted and she put the gun to her temple.

She smiled and thought of her two Ricky Joes.

She pulled the trigger.