Chapter Nineteen

Geary, Arkansas
                    Present Day

" No ! ," came the heartbreaking scream that never failed to destroy the entire being of Reverend Lawrence Lewis every time he heard it.

Every night his wife screamed in her sleep.

His arms reached out for her. Every night she fought some unknown demons. She never spoke of them to him. And they had been married since they graduated high school.

( " Marry me, Larry. " " But you don't love me. " " I care for you. Love is overrated. Except for God's love. God told me we need to get married. Soon. He told me you would protect me always. " )

He held her as she cried in his arms.

" Ricky Joe, Ricky Joe, I'm sorry," she whimpered. " I'll save you. I promise. "

              New York City

" No ! ," was what Dom heard from Rebel's bedroom. The hair stood up on the nape of his neck and his body chilled and his heart thudded. He grabbed his loaded 32 from the night stand in his temp bedroom and steadily headed for Rebel's room. Rebel was still screaming. Like he was being killed.

He opened the door carefully. He heard classical music playing on the high tech stereo by the large draped window. The window was open, he noted with disapproval.

Rebel was alone thankfully. He sat up in his bed, his eyes closed tight and he was shaking. The screams were dying off fortunately. He put the safety back on the gun and stuck it in the pocket of his robe.

" Rebel? ," he called out tentatively while approaching the bed.

Rebel was rocking back and forth whispering one name over and over again.

Jed.

" Rebel? ," he repeated as he reached out to touch him on the trembling shoulder.

Rebel responded.

He made a fist and crashed it into Dom's cheek without ever opening his eyes or ceasing the rocking motion. Rebel was so light it felt like Dom had been hit by a mosquito.

" Rebel? It's ok. It's me. It's Dom. Your muscle head bodyguard. "

Rebel sucked in a breath. He grabbed hold of Dom and clung to him. " Dommy. Dommy. "

Dom held the shaking man gently. " Yeah it's Dommy. You're ok. "

Rebel stopped shaking but wouldn't let go of Dom. " Please, Dommy, don't leave me. Don't let him hurt me. Please. "