Chapter Thirty

" Rock God, we need to talk. "

Those simple words struck terror in Rebel's heart. He knew what Dom wanted to talk about.

Jed.

The one thing he wished he could forget forever.

They walked from the bathroom to the bedroom and sat on the bed. Rebel removed his boots and socks as Dom sat there quietly. Waiting.

Dom began to massage his tense shoulders. " Who is Jed ? "

Rebel leaned back against Dom who wrapped him in a loving and protective embrace. He wished Dom had been there years ago. He stared at the mirror and saw Ricky Joe as always.

" Tell him. Set us free. "

" My father died when I was young. "

( Bill Gibson looked at their small house that was burning. Then he looked at his coughing wife who held a crying Emily.
" Sallie, where's Ricky Joe? "

Tears running down her face she pointed at the house.

Bill screamed and raced towards the house.

" Billy, no ! ," Sallie yelled. )

" He died saving me. "

( Bill escaped the flames with his too quiet son in his arms and got halfway down the walkway before he collapsed. )

Dom's arms tightened around Rebel and he kissed the top of his head.

" My mother worked as a librarian assistant. We didn't have much money. Dad left no insurance. Our house burned down. We moved to a tiny apartment. Mom hated that place. It was too small. It smelled of cabbage and what I now realize was weed. She did .... special..... jobs for extra money. "

( Sallie laughed shrilly at yet another of her gentlemen visitors whose beefy hand groped her miniskirted bottom. Ricky Joe closed the door to his bedroom. )