Chapter Twenty Six

Dom knew that make up and the bossy bottom comment aside Rebel had to be straight because only straight people went to the Zula Room which was notorious as the playground of the rich spoiled famous straight people. Rebel had said in the backseat of the cab that that was their first stop.

When the cab dropped them off at the club the burly bouncer dressed all in black practically fawned over Rebel but cast a wary eye on Dom. Yeah he was underdressed as hell in his black leather jacket, Giants tee shirt and faded blue jeans with the rip in the knee but that didn't mean the guy could look at him like he was yesterday's trash.

" He's with me," Rebel said sullenly. Just like that they were in. No cover. No nothing. It paid to be a Rock God apparently. And his lackey.

Once inside the jam packed club with the pounding music and flashing lights that was starting to give him a headache Rebel made a beeline for the bar. Dom followed. A feeling of dread grew in his stomach.

The tall skinny bartender with spiky purple and blue hair and had to be double d breasts was very happy to see Rebel. They both sat on side by side stools.

" Welcome back, King Sized ! ," the bartender said wryly as she leaned forward to kiss him right on the lips. Dom suddenly wanted to choke the woman. He wanted to tell her not to touch Rebel.

" Long time no see ! The usual, babe ? "

Rebel pulled back from the ice eyed woman. " No. Tonight is special. Whiskey. Straight. Keep it coming. What ever he wants too. "

Dom pursed his lips. " Nothing. Thank you. I'm on the job. Remember? "

Rebel turned to him with a lifted brow and too distant eyes. God. Dom wished he would put the shades back on. Those eyes were tragic and disturbing. And made him want to confess all his sordid secrets.

" On the job? You sound like a cop. "

Dom smiled. The bartender gave Rebel his drink. Along with a small piece of folded paper. Rebel didn't even look at the paper. Just left it on the bar. He downed the whiskey in one gulp.

" I am a cop. "

Rebel cut his eyes at him as he accepted the second whiskey.  The bartender wiggled to the corner of the bar where a man in an expensive suit began to whisper in her ear.

" Used to be anyway. Before I was shot. "

Rebel narrowed his eyes before downing the second whiskey.

" What? Who shot you? Are they still under the jail? I hope. "

Dom never talked about that night. Not to his family. Not to his cop buddies. Not the police shrink. He just couldn't. Rebel wasn't the only one with nightmares. Only his were about being shot. Seeing Eddie shot and bleeding out. He tried to tell Eddie he loved him but he had passed out.

" Yeah. They got the bastard. My partner died too. My lover. Eddie. His name was Eddie. "

Rebel swallowed hard. He reached over to squeeze his hand.

" Eddie was buried with honors. Cops came from all over the country for the funeral. "

Rebel blinked his eyes. Dom thought it looked like he was crying.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Dommy. "

Dom kept looking in those eyes. He couldn't look away.

" I'm sorry for everything, Dommy. "

Then , still holding Dom's hand in a crowded popular club , Rebel lifted up his third whiskey high , saying," To Eddie. "

Dom put his hand over Rebel's and smiled. "Yeah. To Eddie. And to my client who really needs to start talking to me. Really talking. I do care, Rebel. And not because it's in the contract. Not because you're paying me. I care. "

Rebel sighed

The bartender glanced over at them holding hands. Her face looked mean.

Then a tall lanky guy snatched Rebel off his stool.

" Mother fucker,"he said through clenched teeth as he grabbed Rebel by the front of his shirt. "I don't give a shit who you are. Keep your nasty fucking mouth off my woman! "

" I'm not your woman, Russell! ,"the bartender snapped.

Rebel dropped the glass he held ashe struggled to pull away, his face panicked.

Dom stood up. His large hands pulled the man off Rebel easily. He was restraining himself from kicking his ass. Especially when he saw how scared Rebel was.

" Keep your fucking hands to yourself, asshole," Dom growled. " Go dance your angst off. "

" Fuck you, Godzilla! Go back to your cage! Who the fuck are you! "

Dom took a deep breath. " I'm the man whose going to make you wish you'd stayed across the room in your lane. "