Part 50: Russell & Rose

As they settled into the worn, overstuffed couch, Rose reached out to gently squeeze Russell's hand, her touch a comforting anchor in the midst of his turmoil. "I know things have been rough lately," she began, her voice soft but steady. "But you're not alone, Russell. We're in this together."

Russell nodded, his throat tightening with emotion. "I know," he whispered, the weight of his words hanging heavy in the air.

For a long moment, they sat in silence, each lost in their own thoughts and memories. Then, with a sigh, Rose leaned forward, her eyes locking with Russell's in a silent plea for understanding.

"I know you and Troy didn't always see eye to eye," she said gently, her words tinged with empathy. "But that doesn't mean you wanted this to happen. It's okay to feel conflicted, Russell. It's okay to feel whatever you need to feel."

Russell nodded, his gaze dropping to his hands as he struggled to find the right words. "I just... I never wanted Troy to die. especially like that," he admitted, his voice barely above a whisper. "I never wanted any of this."

Rose reached out to gently lift his chin, forcing him to meet her gaze once more. "I know, honey," she said softly, her eyes brimming with compassion. "But you can't blame yourself for what happened. You did everything you could. And now, we'll get through this together, just like we always do."

With those words hanging in the air between them, Russell felt a flicker of hope stir within his chest, a glimmer of light amidst the darkness that threatened to consume him. And in that moment, as he looked into his aunt's eyes, he knew that no matter what trials lay ahead, he would never have to face them alone.