𝐋𝐗𝐗𝐕

✦ 𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐋𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐍𝐀 ✦

"THIS WAY!" RACHEL YELLED.

"Why should we follow you?" Aurora demanded, "You led us straight into that death trap!"

"It was the way you needed to go," Rachel said, "And so is this. Come on!"

Aurora and Annabeth didn't look happy about it, but they ran along with the rest of them. Rachel seemed to know exactly where she was going. She whipped around corners and didn't even hesitate at crossroads.

Once she said, "Duck!" and they all crouched as a huge axe swung over their heads. Then they kept going as if nothing had happened.

Percy lost track of how many turns they made. They didn't stop to rest until they came to a room the size of a gymnasium with old marble columns holding up the roof.

Percy stood at the doorway, listening for sounds of pursuit, but he heard nothing. Apparently, they had lost Luke and his minions in the maze.

Then Percy realized something else: Mrs. O'Leary was gone.

He didn't know when she'd disappeared. He didn't know if she'd got lost or been overrun by monsters, or what. His heart turned to lead. She'd saved their lives, and he hadn't even waited to make sure she was following them.

Ethan collapsed on the floor. "You people are crazy." He pulled off his helmet. His face gleamed with sweat.

Annabeth gasped, "I remember you! You were one of the undetermined kids in Hermes Cabin, years ago."

He glared at her, "Yeah, and you're Annabeth. I remember."

"What – what happened to your eye?"

Ethan looked away, and Percy got the feeling that was one subject he would not discuss.

"You must be the half-blood from our dream," Percy said, pointing at himself and Aurora.

"The one Luke's people cornered. It wasn't Nico after all." Aurora added.

"Who's Nico?" Ethan asked.

"Never mind," Annabeth said quickly, "Why were you trying to join up with the wrong side?"

Ethan sneered, "There's no right side. The gods never cared about us. Why shouldn't I–"

"Sign up with an army that makes you fight to the death for entertainment?" Aurora said, "Gee, I wonder."

Ethan struggled to his feet. "I'm not going to argue with you. Thanks for the help, but I'm out of here."

"We're going after Daedalus," Percy said, "Come with us. Once we get through, you'd be welcome back at Camp."

"You really are crazy if you think Daedalus will help you."

"He has to," Annabeth said, "We'll make him listen."