𝐋𝐗𝐕𝐈

✦ 𝐐𝐔𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐎𝐅 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐍 ✦

THEY MADE IT THIRTY METERS BEFORE THEY WERE HOPELESSLY LOST

THEY MADE IT THIRTY METERS BEFORE THEY WERE HOPELESSLY LOST. The tunnel looked nothing like the one Percy and Aurora had stumbled into before. Now it was round like a sewer, constructed of red brick with iron-barred portholes every three meters.

Aurora shone a light through one of the portholes out of curiosity, but she couldn't see anything— It opened into infinite darkness.

They thought they heard voices on the other side, but it may have been just the cold wind. Annabeth tried her best to guide them. She had this idea that they should stick to the left wall.

"If we keep one hand on the left wall and follow it," she said, "we should be able to find our way out again by reversing course."

Unfortunately, as soon as she said that, the left wall disappeared.

They found themselves in the middle of a circular chamber with eight tunnels leading out, and no idea how they'd got there.

"Um, which way did we come in?" Grover said nervously.

"Just turn around," Aurora said.

They each turned towards a different tunnel— it was ridiculous. None of them could decide which way led back to Camp.

"Left walls are mean," Tyson said, "Which way now?"

Annabeth swept her flashlight beam over the archways of the eight tunnels. As far as Percy could tell, they were identical.

"That way," she said.

"How do you know?" Percy asked.

"Deductive reasoning."

"So... you're guessing."

"Just come on," Aurora said, pulling Percy with her.

The tunnel she'd chosen narrowed quickly. The walls turned to grey cement, and the ceiling got so low that pretty soon they were hunching over. Tyson was forced to crawl. Grover's hyperventilating was the loudest noise in the maze. While Aurora tried not to follow suit to the satyr— repeating Percy's breathing exercise over and over in her head.

"I can't stand it anymore," Grover whispered, "Are we there yet?"

"We've been down here maybe five minutes," Annabeth told him.

"It's been longer than that," Grover insisted, "And why would Pan be down here? This is the opposite of the wild!"

"Let's just keep going, please," Aurora said.

They kept shuffling forward and just when Percy was sure the tunnel would get so narrow it would squish them, it opened into a huge room. Aurora snapped her fingers and a ball of light hovered next to her, it shone around the walls and she said, "Whoa."