𝐋𝐈𝐈

✦ 𝐓𝐀𝐊𝐄𝐍 𝐁𝐘 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇 ✦

AURORA AND PERCY STARED AT EACH OTHER

AURORA AND PERCY STARED AT EACH OTHER. But before they could even discuss what had happened, Ares decided that he just had to open his big mouth. "You're lucky, punk." Ares pushed Percy away from the limo while Aurora was glaring daggers at the god's back. "Be grateful."

"For what?" Aurora snapped.

"That we're being so nice. If it was up to me–"

"So why haven't you killed me?" Percy shot back.

It was a stupid thing to say to the god of war, but being around him always made Percy feel angry and reckless. It did not help that the god had to butt in when he and Aurora were about to talk about their new... tattoos?

Ares nodded like Percy had finally said something intelligent.

"I'd love to kill you, seriously," he said. "But, see, I got a situation. Word on Olympus is that you might start the biggest war in history. I can't risk messing that up. Besides, Aphrodite thinks you two are some kinda soap-opera stars or something. I kill you, that makes me look bad with her. But don't worry. I haven't forgotten my promise. Someday soon, kid – real soon – you're going to raise your sword to fight, and you're going to remember the wrath of Ares."

Percy balled his fists, "Why wait? I beat you once. How's that ankle healing up?"

Aurora looked down, smiling, now staring at her shoes.

Ares grinned crookedly, "Not bad, punk. But you got nothing on the master of taunts. I'll start the fight when I'm good and ready. Until then... Get lost."

Ares snapped his fingers and the world did a three-sixty, spinning in a cloud of red dust. As the world spun around them in a whirlwind of red dust, Percy and Aurora found themselves tumbling to the ground. With a groan, Percy helped Aurora to her feet, both of them blinking in confusion as they took in their surroundings.

Once they were standing again, they looked around, only to find that the limousine, the road, and the entire town of Gila Claw had disappeared without a trace.

Their eyes met in an instant.

"Do you want to talk about–"

"We should talk about–"

They both started to speak at the same time, their voices overlapping in the empty space.

"Um, you go ahead," Percy said, his cheeks flushing slightly.

"No, you first," Aurora insisted, her own cheeks turning pink.

They stood there awkwardly, unsure of what to say or do next. The weight of the revelation about their soulmate connection hung heavy in the air, leaving them both feeling a strange mix of excitement and nervousness.