𝐗𝐈

✦ 𝐓𝐔𝐍𝐍𝐄𝐋 𝐎𝐅 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄 ✦

THE NEXT AFTERNOON, JUNE 14, seven days before the Solstice, their train rolled into Denver

THE NEXT AFTERNOON, JUNE 14, seven days before the Solstice, their train rolled into Denver. The quartet haven't eaten since the night before in the dining car, somewhere in Kansas. They hadn't taken a shower since Half-Blood Hill, and they were sure that was obvious.

"Let's try to contact Chiron," Annabeth said. "I want to tell him about your talk with the river spirit."

"We can't use phones, right?" Percy asked.

"I'm not talking about phones." Annabeth shook her head.

They wandered through downtown for about half an hour, though Percy wasn't sure what Annabeth was looking for, while Aurora and Grover seemed to be looking for something as well.

The air was dry and hot, which felt weird after the humidity of St. Louis. Everywhere they turned, the Rocky Mountains seemed to be staring at them, like a tidal wave about to crash into the city.

Finally, they found an empty do-it-yourself car wash. They veered towards the stall furthest from the street, keeping their eyes open for patrol cars. They were four adolescents hanging out at a car wash without a car; any cop worth his doughnuts would figure they were up to no good.

"What exactly are we doing?" Percy asked as Grover took out the spray gun.

"It's seventy-five cents," Grover grumbled. "I've only got two quarters left. Annabeth, Rory?"

"Don't look at me," Aurora said.

"The dining car wiped me out." the blonde said.

Percy fished out his last bit of change and passed Grover a quarter, which left the raven-haired boy two nickels and one drachma from Medusa's place.

"Excellent," Grover said. "We could do it with a spray bottle, of course, but the connection isn't as good, and my arm gets tired of pumping."

"What are you talking about?" Percy asked, still confused as to what they were planning to do in the first place.

Grover fed in the quarters and set the knob to fine mist, "I-M'ing."

"Instant messaging?" Percy asked.

"Iris-messaging," Aurora corrected.

"The rainbow goddess Iris carries messages for the gods. If you know how to ask, and she's not too busy, she'll do the same for half-bloods." Annabeth explained.

"You summon the goddess with a spray gun?"

Grover pointed the nozzle in the air and water hissed out in a thick white mist.

"Unless you know an easier way to make a rainbow, Water Boy." Aurora grinned at him.

Sure enough, late afternoon light filtered through the vapor and broke into colors. Annabeth held her palm out to Percy, "Drachma, please."