LCVIII. Miracles & Trials

Start from the beginning

She opened her lips to speak but her throat was dry, making it hard for her. He used his free hand to grab a nearby goblet with water and let her take a few sips before placing it away.

"...Tywin...what..." she tried to say but her body was still recovering.

"Still in Winterfell. You injured yourself during the battle and had been unconscious for half a fortnight" he explained, his thumb gently caressing her skin.

He kept watching her, once again having come so close to losing her and this time; he did not truly hide it. While still angry at her for risking her life like that, he could not show it; not at that moment.

His anger and frustration had long been drowned by the feeling of relief, of seeing her finally awake and responsive. He did not say anything else, too busy just checking her with his eyes; hiding the fear that she would just pass out again and then lose her for good.

"...so...we won...?" she asked, keeping that weak smile on her lips.

Tywin felt the need to roll his eyes as her very first question was whether they had won or not. Always battle-oriented, he thought with some mild amusement.

He nodded his head, humming faintly to give his response to her question as she was slowly waking up more and more. He could see the very faint movement beneath the fur blankets, a sign that she was trying to move her body or at least check that she had all her limbs.

"Don't tire yourself. You have been unconscious for too long" he reminded her, while he was also offering reassurance that she had not lost any hands or legs. He took notice of a Lannister guard that had heard him talk and moved to check-in. "What are you waiting for? Summon the Maester" he ordered, not hiding his annoyance at just seeing the man standing there like a statue when his lady had finally woken up after all those days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inner Courtyard, Winterfell, The North – Around the Same Time

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Time had passed ever since that terrible and nightmarish battle had been over and some were still recovering from their physical but also emotional wounds.

Trystan had his arm bandaged and he still had trouble lifting heavy objects with it but the Maester had told him, it was only temporary and he should recover soon enough.

Jaime had an injury on his leg but he had been fighting it like a champ, barely showing any signs that it was annoying him. Yet again, he had managed to survive after having his hand cut off and infected; so one should not be surprised.

A lot of good men had been lost at that war, their bodies having been burnt and their names holding the highest of honour.

While many moved on, focusing on the new companions they had met and fought side by side; a few had been rather grim when it came to their mood.

With Visenya still unconscious, those who truly knew and cared for her; could not truly enjoy the passing days. Keeping themselves busy with work or pretty much anything, had helped keep their minds in check and prevent thinking of the worst-case scenarios.

On the 7th day, the two Lion Brothers had been sitting on some crates and barrels; accompanied by Tormund, some Free Folk and some young Lords of different houses. Many of their peers had lost their fathers in combat, making them the next heirs of their house.

That was a title the two Lions understood better than anyone and it was perhaps, what had helped build this new kind of friendship between them; if one could call it that.