XXVII. The Last Dragon

[A/N] - I usually take inspiration from music when I write such scenes or books in general and like to make my playlists. So, here are the songs that inspired me and I also find very fitting with the book.

1. Burn by 2WEI
2. Infinity by James Young
3. Doomsday by Derivakat
4. That's My Girl by Fifth Harmony
5. Speechless by Naomi Scott
6. Jenny of Oldstones by Florence + The Machine
7. Battle Born by Five Finger Death Punch
8. Immortals by Fall Out Boy
9. Used To Be Young by Miley Cyrus
10. Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio
11. Experience by Ludovico Einaudi
12. Raise Your Banner by Within Temptation

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert had been more cowardice than they had him for, choosing to launch his attack in the early hours of the night as the sky was covered by Dark Clouds.

His army came from the other side of the river like a raging wave, the banners of the Stag, Wolf and Hawk shaking with the wind as the Rebels charged.

Immediately, every soldier quickly grabbed their weapons, and their mounts and charged to meet the enemy halfway. The battle would take place on both sores of the Red River and in its raging waters; the outcome would be to decide which side would win the War.

Everyone was in their armour, especially our heroes and Visenya and Rhaegar got on their horses without a moment of hesitation. A squire passed them their helmets but Visenya refused to wear hers, the dark atmosphere was already causing bad visibility for them.

Before her nephew could charge, she moved her white stallion and blocked his path. "You gave me a promise, Rhaegar. Robert wants to drag you out in the open, do not let him. Defend your men but do not face him" she said, A few strands that had escaped from her braid were wiping against her face from the ominous wind that had picked up.

The Crown Prince gave a nod with his head and the two of them grabbed their sword and bow respectively.

Then, the real battle started.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If the battle against the Silver Lions in front of Casterly Rock was a choice battlefield, it paled in comparison to what was going on around them.

The sound of horses, stomping hooves and blades clashing was the most prominent sound. Amongst them, one could make out the sound of men crying in pain, shouting a war cry during their charges or grunting as they fought against one another.

Due to the sneak attack and the mixture of the armies, many archers could not offer constant attacks and Visenya tried her best to lead them. Her arrows found their target, always aiming for the open spot by the neck or the gap between the helmet; taking down the enemy quickly and efficiently.

From time to time, she instructed the men to aim for the horses; choosing to take down the enemy riders and pray some would be crushed or wounded by the weight of their own mounts against their bodies.

Her blade had eventually been drawn when a few Rebels had managed to come to a close but they were on food and she was on horse. She used the height advantage to slice them, taking them down as her stallion went as far as to kick them down in the mud.

"RHAEGAR!" The voice of Robert boomed across the battlefield despite all the other sounds.

Fuelled by anger and need for revenge, the young Stag smashed any royal soldier with his war hammer; stopping at nothing while searching for his target.