[ 043 ] - By Our Butts.

·—★—·

·—★—·

Trigger warnings for this chapter - cat death, demogorgan, voices, Hawkins's lab..

·—★—·

Gator knew something bad was going down, he could feel it in his gut.

Or well, more from the voices and screams that were being heard from within his head.

Talk about a power trip?

"Mother of God" was heard in Gator's head and that voice belonged to Owens before the voice added "It's.. it's polycarbonate. It can't get through." With a bunch of demogorgan grows following it.

Gator knew that his vision or whatever he was meant to be calling it, hadn't lied. The place they needed to go to was indeed to the lab, the very same one that started this all off.

And that's where he headed, followed by Lucas, Dustin, Max and Ezrae all closely behind.

"You're positive that was Dart?" Lucas asked Dustin as he was referring to the baby demogorgan that almost ate Gator from the bus' rooftop. "Yes. He had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt" Dustin says as they all keep walking.

"Lovely. Let's just identify each other by our butts too" Ezrae states sarcastically as Gator gives her a raised eyebrow of amusement.

"He was tiny two days ago" Max stated making Dustin sigh, "Well, he's molted three times already" Dustin said quietly as Gator looked at him confused. "Malted?" Gator asked giving Dustin a look.

"Molted. Shed his skin to make room for growth like hornworms" Dustin told him. Gator didn't know what hornworms were of course but he just blindly nodded along to the smart boy.

"When's he gonna molt again?" Max asked intrigued and worried before Dustin spoke again as they headed back up the rail track from early, "It's gotta be soon. When he does, he'll be fully grown, or close to it. And so will his friends" Dustin tells them.

"Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats" Gator said in the American accent as he glanced at Dustin.

"Wait, Cats?" Lucas asked with a slightly raised voice as he stopped them all from walking because he stood in-front of Dustin now.

"Dart ate a cat?" Lucas asked Dustin, emphasizing on every word. "What? No" Dustin lied making Ezrae roll her eyes and Gator look at him confused.

"What are you talking about? He ate Mews" Gator asked, face full of confusion as Ezrae sighed and shook her head next to him. "Mews? Who's Mews?" Max asked in equal confusion before Ezrae answered, "Dustin's cat".

"Steve! Ezrae!" Dustin yells at them, face full of betrayal. "I knew it! You kept him!" Lucas raised his voice to argue with Dustin who shot back a "No!".

"No.. No, I.. No, I.. He misses me. He wanted to come home" Dustin stuttered out but Lucas wasn't having it when he said "Bullshit!" And god did Gator still hate that word as he, Max and Ezrae stood watching them argue.

"I didn't know he was a demogorgan, okay?" Dustin argues and instantly Lucas argued back "Oh, so you admit it?" As Ezrae sighs, clearly annoyed at their argument.

"Come on!" Ezrae sighs loudly before Max sighs too and says "Guys, who cares? We have to go" as she attempts to remind them both of the situation at hand.

"I care! You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!" Lucas argued back to Dustin as the boys ignore the girls attempts. "So did you!" Dustin shouts back at him.

"What?" Lucas asked confused before Dustin moved his hand to point the torch in Max's face before raising his voice again, "You told a stranger the truth!" Which makes Max scoff before asking "A stranger?".

"Bet you really miss home now, huh?" Ezrae says to Gator who just groans in annoyance making Ezrae laugh.

"You wanted to tell her, too!" Lucas yells back at Dustin before Dustin says back a quiet but firm "But I didn't, Lucas, okay? We both broke the rule of law, okay? So we're even. We're even"

As they continue arguing, Ezrae and Gator hear a loud screech from far away and take a few steps in the direction it came from.

"Hey, Guys?" Gator said but they just kept arguing so both Gator and Ezrae shouted "Guys!" At the same time as they turned back and looked at them.

Finally the boys stop fighting as they all listen to the sound too and then Gator and Ezrae start heading on the track to the lab as Lucas, Dustin and Max follow along.

"No, no, no. Hey, guys, Why are you headed towards the sound?" Max says as she reluctantly follows behind them.

They stop once they can see an overview of the town.

"I don't see them" Dustin states as Lucas picks up the binoculars and looks for them for a few seconds.

"It's the lab. They were going back home" Lucas says as he slowly moves his hands down as a sinking feeling was felt in their stomachs, more so when Ezrae spoke,

And even more so for Gator,

"Just like my idiot brother told 'em to"