Chapter 13 ~ catching up ~

It was almost twenty four hours later when Kao climbed out of a yellow cab outside his ex wife's brownstone property in New York.

With the time difference it was around 10pm at night as he dragged his tired ass up the stoop to the entrance and lifted the antique bronze door knocker and rapped it a few times to let Nia know he had arrived.

"hey Nia" Kao said when she opened the door to admit him.

"hi Kao, you look exhausted sweetie, come on in I'll make you something to eat then you can go and get some sleep"

"thanks babe, you look as beautiful as ever" Kao said smiling.

"not beautiful enough make you love me though" she replied looking a little sad.

"I'm sorry babe, if only it were that simple, you know I love you like a sister though" Kao said leaning in to kiss her on the cheek.

This had been a recurring bone of contention in the early years of their married life, Kao had been honest from the beginning and told Nia that he liked her a lot but his heart belonged to another and he was gay while Nia on the other hand had genuinely loved Kao and thought she could change him and that all he needed was the love of a good woman.

The marriage had gone ahead due to parental prodding and Nia's misconceptions that she could make it work.

Unfortunately after several years of trying she'd had to accept that Kao was never going to love her in a romantic capacity but then she had met Dane, an american businessman who had attended one of their many soirées.

Kao hadn't been angry when he had witnessed his wife falling in love, on the contrary he had been pleased for her and given her his full support, she deserved to be happy.

Nia made him a smoked ham on rye with lettuce, tomato and mayo and Kao had forgotten how good american food tasted then he washed it down with a mug of hot black tea.

"do you feel better now sweetie?" Nia asked.

"a few hours sleep and I'll be human again" Kao smiled.

"alright, I've put you in the usual room so I'll see you in the morning and we'll catch up"

"great, thank's for the supper babe, I'm going to bed" Kao said leaning in for another swift kiss.

"night sweetie" Nia called out as Kao climbed the stairs.

 She was glad he'd arrived safely and no doubt he would explain his sudden visit tomorrow after he'd managed to get a few hours sleep.

Meanwhile back in Thailand it was early afternoon and Phon was wondering why Kao hadn't called him yet, he should have landed a couple of hours ago?

Phon had gone back to his place yesterday and given it a good airing out then he had changed the bedding and done a load of laundry. After that he had gone shopping for food and stocked his fridge up and by then it had been dinner time so he'd called Mrs S' to check up on her then made himself some dinner.