Chapter 3 ~ the young master ~

Phon made sure to stick close to the kitchen but it was 8.30pm now and the guy called Kao hadn't come back down so he decided to do another round of the property before calling it a night.

He really couldn't see why he was working here when no one came near, he felt as if he had been sucked into a Charles Dickens novel and he was guarding Miss Havisham's estate, the young master of course was Pip.

He was just setting off when he saw Mrs Suppasak come into that kitchen,

"ow, master Phon dear, have you seen the young master come down for his soup yet?" she asked.

"no, I was just about to do another walk round before calling it a night, oh by the way Mrs Suppasak, do you know what my hours are supposed to be?" Phon asked.

"did I forget to tell you dear, the young master said you'd be on call 24/7 there's an alarm system in your room so if there is any disturbance it will alert you so you'll be able to check it out"

"ok, good to know" Phon replied.

He really needed to speak with this so-called young master to discuss additional security measures which would make life easier for all concerned.

"I'm going to take some soup up for the young master dear, can I get anything for you?"

"no, I'm good but thank you" Phon replied.

He decided to loiter around and when Mrs Suppasak had warmed a bowl of soup and placed it on a tray, he followed behind at a safe distance then stood behind a large pillar where he didn't have a view but could hear quite well.

Mrs Suppasak knocked lightly on the door but no one answered so she knocked again and Phon could see her turn the handle before calling through the crack,

"I'm coming in young master"

"ah-mah" Phon heard a voice sob

Mrs Suppasak walked in to find Kao sitting on the floor of his bedroom with his legs crossed and a cushion pulled to his chest as he hugged it close for comfort as tears ran down his face.

He had bathed and was wearing his pyjamas and there were dozens of photographs littering the floor around him, picture's of Chai Son alone or both of them together, smiling, laughing and joking around.

"what are you doing down there young master" Phon heard Mrs Suppasak talking to the man who was his boss.

"I couldn't help it ah-mah, I couldn't help it" he sobbed.

Phon didn't know what was going on but he wondered if he should go in and help then he heard Mrs Suppasak again.

"come here baby, there, there, don't cry baby, don't cry"

"I'm sorry ..." a voice spoke

"why don't you let me throw all these away" Mrs Suppasak said.

"I can't ah-mah, I just can't"

"then what if I keep them in my room?" she asked again

Phon wondered what they were talking about, drugs maybe?

"I don't know, I just ... don't know what I'm doing anymore" the mans voice replied

"I know baby, come on, I brought you some soup, you need to eat something"

"I'm not hungry"

"you're slowly killing yourself baby"

"I don't care, there's nothing to live for now"

"what about me then? what would I do without you eh?" Mrs Suppasak said.

"you'd be better off if I was gone"