Chapter 8 ~ al fresco ~

When Kao went to the kitchen on Saturday morning, he was wearing jeans and a tee shirt and a lightweight blue jacket and Phon couldn't stop eyeballing him, he was so used to seeing him in suits that seeing him in snug fitting denim was new and consuming.

Phon had worn something similar along with a tattered old sweatshirt and as they all ate the breakfast that Mrs Suppasak had kindly made, they planned what they would do first.

"first what gardening tools do you have?" Phon asked.

"I don't know?" Kao replied.

"well there's a shed round the back?" Phon said.

"yes but we never went inside did we ah-mah" Kao said looking at Mrs Suppasak for back up.

"no dear, there were spiders and creepy crawlies" she replied scrunching up her face.

Phon shook his head at the pair of them before saying that he would go in and check out what tools they had. At the time of purchase, Kao hadn't really cared about the finer details, he just wanted a roof over their heads.

After breakfast, Phon got up and walked around the table then bent down in front of Kao and proceeded to pull his socks up before tucking his jeans into them then he did the same to himself.

"why are you doing that?" Kao asked.

"snakes, we need to make some noise when we're out there to let them know we're around then they can take shelter, they're mostly only aggressive if you surprise them" Phon said.

"snakes? are you sure this is a good idea, I can easily call a professional" Kao said.

"don't worry baby, I'll take care of you" Phon said smiling

Mrs Suppasak looked up when she heard the word baby and smiled to herself, there was something going on between these two, she could sense it.

The pair got up and walked outside into the morning sunshine and Kao followed Phon around the back of the property to where the shed was. Phon took out the key and unlocked the rusty old padlock.

"did you even open the door yet?" he asked Kao.

"well, no" Kao blushed.

Shiyaa, he was so adorable Phon thought as he saw Kao's cheeks turn the same shade as his tee shirt.

"ok, just keep talking loudly to me in case there are any snakes nesting in here" Phon said.

"I didn't think they had ears?" Kao said loudly and Phon smiled, he was so stinking cute.

"I've read somewhere that they have an inner ear but it's mostly vibrations they pick up" Phon replied.

He picked up a small stick and disturbed the long grass before slapping his palm on the side of the shed just to let any squatters know he was coming in.

Walking inside slowly while continuously slapping his hand against the walls and shelves he made sure there were no unwanted guests before telling Kao it was safe to come inside.

"do I really need to come in?" Kao said.

"well you can't see what you've got otherwise can you" Phon replied.

"you could tell me though" Kao said.

"hang on, I'll come and fetch you" Phon said walking back to the door and holding out his hand for Kao to take.

Kao reached across and took Phon's hand before edging closer to the shed door and climbing across the threshold.

"there's nothing here baby, I checked" Phon said.