XXVIII: Rage and Wisdom

Link's POV:

Elrohir's steps echoed throughout the chamber, each footfall igniting fear within the clan. He paced slowly back and forth as we anticipated what he would say.

"You bested one of the strongest armies in Hyrule, the Gerudo... you killed their chief and escaped with your lives..." His voice was low and bone-chilling. "But you barely managed to escape Kakariko village with every scroll, lost 3 men, and couldn't even find the Chief's granddaughter who has the exact same damn schedule everyday... Would someone like to explain to me why that is?"

We were all silent.

He continued his slow pace. "It wouldn't have anything to do with our new member, would it?" He turned towards me, his glare icy.

Fear paralyzed me. I looked at him and said nothing.

"He was with me the whole time," a voice said from behind me. It was Balin—I was momentarily relieved. Why was he lying to defend me? I wondered. Or did he truly think I was there the whole time?

Elrohir frowned. "I see," he said. 

"We lost a soldier in our unit in Kakariko Village, we don't know what happened," I said sheepishly, trying to hide the fear in my voice. "He never made it back."

Elrohir squinted at me, tapping his foot on the ground repeatedly. Was he buying my lie?

"I know who dies and I know when they die," Elrohir sneered. "I just don't know how. But historically, it's been you, Link."

"It's different now," I stammered. "I can't kill anyone."

"Thank you for enlightening me," he said, his sarcasm lashing me. He began to address the crowd. "I had all of your wounds treated, I take care of all of you, make sure you're fed... Don't disappoint me again. I hope you haven't forgotten what happened last time."

I leaned backwards. "What happened last time?" I whispered to Balin.

"You know the giant pit behind the hideout? He sent ten clansmen out on a mission that failed, only five returned. He sentenced all five to death, throwing them down the pit. But that was a long time ago... This is our first failed mission in a while."

Elrohir dismissed us, returning to his chamber to examine the scrolls. I let out a deep breath, turning and following Balin. We sat down in the same corner we did before the attack. A fire crackled, spreading an orange glow along the wall.

"Balin," I began, hesitant at first. "Why did you protect me back there?"

He looked at me, grinning. "Honestly? I wanted Elrohir to shut up."

Not expecting that answer in the slightest, a laugh escaped my mouth. He laughed too, but the moment was cut short when angry footsteps came pounding from down the hall.

Elrohir turned the corner, fuming. The air around us changed as he marched up to Balin and I, his eyes blazing with an intensity that seemed to pierce right through me. I gulped.

"What is so funny?" he hissed. "Is this a laughing matter to you, Link? Is it funny that we probably have all of Hyrule on alert now that we've caused a scene at Kakariko?" His eyes thinned. "My clan does not get away with failure easily. Don't think I will forget about this. And you too," he said, shooting a glare at Balin,"whatever your name is, Hylian." He turned and walked away.

Balin scoffed, crossing his arms as he watched Elrohir turn the corner. "Balin," he muttered under his breath. He reached down, grabbed a piece of bread and stuffed it in his mouth. "You know," he started, his mouth full, "he picks favorites. Yeah... if you're not of Sheikah ancestry, good luck getting on his good side. Sure, he feeds us an all, gives us a place to stay, has our cuts bandaged up and whatnot, but sometimes I hate it here."