XIV: Mistaken Execution

Link's POV:

Warning: Violence and Gore.

I sat in silence as Gerudo soldiers carried a smooth coffin covered in Gerudo jewels. The coffin was unusually small due to the Chief's short stature. The sound of crackling torches filled the otherwise quiet air. A cold night breeze brushed through the sand. As the coffin passed me, I bowed my head. I closed my eyes and heard the soldiers' footsteps in the sand.

I sat amongst the rest of the Gerudo women a mile out from their town. Two palm trees stood firm in the sand. I was told Riju's mother was buried under one of them. Riju would be buried under the other tree.

No one spoke. I could nearly feel the disastrous grief and worry among the women... There was nothing that could have prepared them for this. I watched as the soldiers lowered Riju's coffin into the ground. Slowly, the women began to sing a hymn in their native language. Their harmonious voices rang through the air. I bowed my head in respect.

Then, I heard the sound of sand splattering on the coffin. The Gerudo soldiers began to bury Riju's coffin, each throwing in a handful of sand at a time. I looked to Buliara who stood rigid by Riju's coffin, a large sword in her hand. She looked numb.

Slowly, I grew angered. How could the Yiga clan do this to Riju, to the Gerudo? I thought to myself. Without noticing, I reached my hand to my sword, gripping it tightly. She was a young girl and they brutally took her life.

I felt myself growing resentful and tried to slow my breathing. I knew what I was going to do... I was going to return to the Yiga clan. Tonight. And, not to join their clan as they would expect. I was going to kill Elrohir and the rest of his foul followers.

Riju's coffin was fully submerged under the sand. Buliara placed Riju's sand seal stuffed animal atop the sand, stifling tears. She stood back up and nodded. All the women stood up and funneled into a line, marching back to their town uniformly. They continued to sing their hymns. 

I nodded to Buliara and turned, facing the land where the Yiga hid. I was itching to get revenge. I wanted, more than anything, to see the look on Elrohir's face as I avenged Riju. I needed to stop this evil once and for all.

I took a deep breath and began to walk across the desert. Now is the time, I thought. This is what the goddess meant by resist.

When I was outside of the hideout, I changed my clothes. I had old sheika garb with me and the technology improved my stealth. I slipped it on and drew a duplex bow. Ironic.

Aim for the throat, I thought. That way they can't scream for help.

Adrenaline shot through my veins. I hadn't been on a quest like this in years. I almost... felt like myself again. Saving Hyrule and all.

I slipped inside the hideout and scanned the area, hiding in the shadows. I saw two foot soldiers walking the hall in front of me. I drew my bow quickly and fired two arrows. They whirred softly through the air and pierced the necks of both Yiga. They fell to the ground, grasping at their throats and gagging.

My pride got the best of me. I snuck up to both of them and stood, towering over their quaking bodies. I wanted them to see me as they died. Their expressions twisted as they looked at me, hatred fermenting on their faces. I spit on the ground and smiled, turning to continue through the hideout.

I remembered the layout of the clan's hideout from years before when I retrieved the thunder helm. I snuck up a large ladder and peered over the railing on the upper floor. I saw many clansmen congregated. They were having a meeting, and Elrohir stood in the middle.