V: Selfish Love

Link's POV:

She was there, laughing in the warm sunshine like she always did. The sound of her laughter was soothing like honey. Her feet danced through the soft grass as her dress twirled, trying to keep up. Her arms were outstretched, basking in the sweet air that caressed her skin. Her hair lit up in the sunshine like the burst of a gentle flame. She was glowing. I chased after her, but couldn't quite keep up.

She was the burst of fresh air after a long-held breath. She was the douse of cold water in the blistering heat. She was the sweet hymns sung by the wind in the afternoon. Her divine sanctity stripped me of the use of my own senses, to where I couldn't recognize my own voice.

"Zelda!" I shouted in between laughs. "Wait up!"

"Link!" she responded, giggling. "Hurry up! You must catch me!"

I scrambled for her, but she slowly began to disappear from my sight and her voice grew distant.

"Zelda! Wait!"

"You took too long Link!" she shouted back to me. She was fading. "You took too long..."

I woke up in a sweat.

I coughed, regaining my breath. I was angry that I had to wake because my consciousness tore me from her. Zelda had appeared more frequently in my dreams as of late. The dreams haunted me, for it felt like my body was transported to another realm where I would experience her presence. It genuinely felt like we were together.

It had been one day since I spoke to Impa. I thought a lot about what she said.

I had no idea how to resurrect a calamity. And even if I did, what right did I have to submit this realm to the malicious evil of Ganon once again? Impa was right, the line of the Triforce, in this realm at least, would die with me. It would only be until we reincarnated into another life that Ganon would ever resurrect. 

However, I couldn't shake the sweet warmth that filled my soul when I got to be with her again. I could leave that joy to only be experienced in my dreams, but I didn't want that. I didn't want to wait for a future reincarnation where I had no recollection of her. I wanted her now.

I knew I shouldn't resurrect Ganon. But I also knew I was still going to do it.