XIII: Resist

Link's POV:

I rose in the morning with a sense of urgency disrupting my mind. I groaned and got out of bed. Evangeline laid sound asleep beside me. I changed my clothes, grabbed my things, and slipped out of the room. 

I walked into the dining hall, starving. A chef sunk to one knee, bowing her head. "Good morning, Your Majesty," she said gently.

"Good morning Saria," I responded. "It is nice to see you."

She was flustered at my response. "N-nice to see you as well!" she said. "This morning I have an assortment of pastries as well as a large serving of omelets. Is there something I can offer you?"

"Two omelets, please," I said while glancing at the pastry selection. Wow, I thought, those actually look incredible. My stomach growled, and it was then that I realized I had not eaten in at least a day. "And one of these pastries," I said, pointing.

She nodded, a layer of melancholy lacing her face.

I noticed. "Saria, is something wrong?" I asked.

She was quiet for a moment, seemingly surprised that I asked. "Well, I-I suppose this an old thought at this point but... I do not see you often anymore, Your Majesty, and w-when I do it just reminds me that I... I miss Queen Zelda."

The air halted in my lungs. I had not heard someone talk about her in this way in a while. I placed my hand on the chef's soldier. 

"I too miss her greatly," I responded. "Hyrule is... certainly not the same without her. She took a great liking to you, Saria."

The chef smiled softly and looked down at her hands. "I will have your breakfast ready promptly, Your Majesty."

As I waited, a messenger entered the room. "His Majesty, King of Hyrule," the man said, bowing. "I have a letter for Your Highness."

I so disliked the formal titles that I winced before turning to face him. The messenger placed the letter in my hand and I thanked him as he left. 

It was from Gerudo town. I was asked to attend Riju's funeral tonight. I folded the letter and placed it in my pocket.

Saria returned to me with a plate full of food which I gratefully, and rapidly, consumed. I rose, thanked the chef, and made my way outside before I halted. Maybe, I thought, I should tell Evangeline where I'm going. I turned around and walked back to my bed chambers. I opened the door and she was still asleep, so I wrote her a note and left it on the nightstand.

I am attending a funeral tonight in Gerudo Town. It is for the chief. I am not sure when I will return. I have some important things to attend to. The pastries in the dining hall are wonderful, you should try some.

-Link

Good enough. I left the room and approached a servant at the end of the hall. 

"See to it that a fresh bouquet of flowers is sent to my wife, please," I said. He stared wide-eyed and nodded. 

I left the castle feeling satisfied. At least, I thought, I had handled matters here. I walked to the stable and a boy brought me my horse, saddled. I thanked him and mounted my steed... I knew where I needed to go.

I arrived at the Temple of Time at noon. It remained in rubble... we had not yet the resources to restore it to its former glory. There was a sense of peace in the solitude atop the Great Plateau.  Here, I could feel the breeze blow through the grass and smell the fresh soil. Small birds hopped around on the ground and squirrels scurried up trees. It was exactly what Zelda loved.

I stepped carefully over fallen stone as I entered the temple. The goddess statue towered over me, even from a distance. I approached the statue and dropped slowly to my knees.

Goddess Hylia, to whom I owe my life, I ask for your guidance. I was quiet for a moment before continuing my prayer. How do I best protect this land? I was selfish before Riju's death... I wanted to bring about chaos just so I could see my Zelda once more. I know that it is not your wish that Hyrule should suffer another calamity... Please, what do I do?  None of my troops can stand firm against the Yiga's dark magic. Their foul play will best us, I know it. Although, I fear it is wholly against my nature to join the clan, even if it is just to protect those who they would kill if I refused. Hylia... I should not like to fall to cowardice, but it does not seem strategic to be on the defense. Please, for Hyrule's sake, guide me.

Instantly, my mind cleared. I could not hear a voice, but I felt one.

Resist.

Resist, I thought to myself. I clasped my hands together once more and thanked Hylia. Resist.

Certainly, this meant I should not join the clan... I should resist their forces. With all the power I had, I would resist them.

Satisfied, I returned to my horse and made my way to Gerudo Canyon Stable once more. After leaving my steed at the stable, I began to walk towards Gerudo town to attend Riju's funeral.