XXVII: Heist on Kakariko

Link's POV:

Elrohir woke the clan before sunrise. We gathered, putting on our Yiga suits as he discussed the plan. 

"No deaths," he said, his voice booming throughout the chamber. "Not unless it's necessary. You had your fun with the Gerudo chief... now, there is no reason for us to alarm the entirety of Hyrule by sieging a critical village. Our mission is to take Paya and the ancient records. We will need her to interpret them for us." 

I looked around me at the Yiga clansmen, all in their suits with their sickles and bows attached at the waist. My stomach turned... Balin was right. Everyone in this room tried to kill me at one point, and now I'm on their side. I was always on the other side of the operation, dealing with the aftermath of plans like this. But now, I'm on the inside... I'm part of everything.

"You all will take your posts given to you yesterday," Elrohir boomed. "And remember, we will enter through the north. Do not be seen. Unit 1 will keep a bow drawn on Cado at all times. Unit 2 will be on civilian watch. Unit 3 will capture Paya and retrieve the records hidden under the chief's residence. We will move out in 5."

My heart rate jumped... I had always worked alone, never in groups. I didn't know how I was going to evade the eyes of 14 other Yiga soldiers and turn their plans inside out. I stood up straight as I saw Elrohir approaching me.

"Link," he said, "you will be in unit 3. Is this your first time in a Yiga suit?"

I nodded.

"The suits were forged with dark magic that can be traced back to the time of the sky islands," he said. "You can travel through space at high speeds with them. But, the magic isn't perfect. You cannot hide amidst thin air in the presence of a non-Yiga... you will be forced to show yourself. But you may choose a disguise, if you wish.

This makes things interesting, I thought.

"How do I control it?" I asked.

"It knows," Elrohir responded with a smirk.

"Great," I said nervously.

I needed a diversion... and I think I knew how to get it.

"Elrohir," I said as he started to walk away, "Why are we entering through the north? If we take the southeast entrance, units 1 and 2 will already have the high ground. It will be much easier to sneak 5 foot soldiers through the village to the Chief's house than it will be to sneak 10 foot soldiers up to the high ground."

Elrohir placed his hand on his chin. "The high ground, hm... indeed. It was not part of my plan, but I suppose you are right. And I presume we get to the southeast entrance by passing through the Dueling Peaks?"

I nodded.

"Very well," he said. Elrohir turned around to address the clan. "There has been a change of plans," he said, his voice echoing. "We will be entering through the southeast. Instead of scaling the cliffs near the west entrance, we will pass through Dueling Peaks. Each unit will follow their commander."

Little did Elrohir know, the trail split to Kakariko Village and Hateno Village near Dueling Peaks stable was one of the most foot-trafficked areas of Hyrule. With perfect luck, I could momentarily escape the clan.

Elrohir commanded the troops to move out. I pulled the hood of my suit over my head and immediately felt unsettled. I could almost feel the dark magic oozing into me.

We left the central room of the hideout and began to twist through corridors on our way out. Before reaching the exit, I turned toward the prison. The squire was awake and terrified. His eyes widened as Yiga flooded out of the hideout. My heart sank, but I sustained myself with the assurance that I would free him soon.