VIII: In Due Time

The old man took two steps forward.

"I'm here to warn you, Your Majesty," the old man said, his voice raspy.

"Warn me of what?" Link responded, hesitant.

"What will happen if you continue to rule this kingdom. Your life, Link... pardon my bluntness, but your life is pitiful! You are not happy, Link! You have no family, you're stuck in a loveless marriage ruling people who do not deserve you. This is not what you want, and you know that. Do you want to be stuck like this for the rest of your life? You aren't happy."

Link stood firm, his eyes flashing from the mans' eyes to Zelda's golden bracelet in his hand.

"However," he continued, "there is a life I foresee that will bring you much more fulfillment and excitement... a life where you owe nothing to this kingdom. Trust me, Link, your talents will be much more appreciated there than they are by this kingdom. A life where you have true companions, friends who are grateful for your work, a life where you leave behind all of the nonsense you've ever known... a life where you resurrect Ganon once and for all.

Link grimaced. "I would never do that to my people," he choked, hand on his sword.

"Ah, but you would! I know how much your precious Zelda means to you." The man tossed the bracelet and caught it again. "If I were in your position, I would try to bring back Ganon too."

"What do you mean?" Link asked, his voice low.

"Think about it, Link. These people don't appreciate you. Yes, you stopped Ganon the first time, but if anything they think it took far too long. You are not in the royal bloodline. You were a knight. Your citizens will never recognize you as a true king. You may be their ruler, but the way I see it, you don't owe them anything. You've already given up so much for them."

"Maybe I don't owe it to them, but Zelda... I promised her."

"Bah! Look at your life! Your wife... she betrays you. She lies to you."

"What do you mean? How do you know this?" Link asked.

"In due time, your Majesty. In due time you will understand."

"Tell me!" Link demanded, pointing his sword to the old man's throat.

The man grinned, his eyes becoming darker. "You want this calamity, Link. You live a loveless pathetic life. Do something for yourself for once. You want this calamity"

Link was silent for a moment, the color slightly leaking from his eyes. "I want this calamity...." he repeated.

An evil smile grew on the man's face. He turned and walked into the shadows.

"Wait," Link said.

The man stopped and turned his head.

"Who are you?" Link asked.

"In due time, Your Majesty," the man responded. "In due time." 

He turned back around and vanished.