II: A Missing Monument

Link's POV:

When Zelda died, Hyrule's beauty died with her. As I travelled to Zora's Domain, I passed landmarks that I travelled past with her. I remembered them vividly, but the landmarks lost their luster. I would see a big oak tree and remember the exact conversation I had with Zelda near that same tree years ago. It made it hard to love Hyrule... the whole realm reminded me of her and it stung. 

I arrived at Zora's Domain late at night. I left Druid to graze in the lush greenery near the Domain. As I crossed the bridge, the guards instantly recognized me and kneeled down. I honestly didn't like the praise that coupled with being King. It was easier when I was the humble knight of the princess who didn't speak and quite frankly wasn't acknowledged much. 

I walked through the domain and headed for the backside. Same as I saw him many years ago, Jaihto was standing near the worn Zora monument near the pools.

"Jaihto," I said as I approached him. "It has been a while."

The Zora turned to me as his eyes lit up with familiarity. "Oh my, Link! I-I mean, your Highness!" Jaihto instantly bowed down. "Forgive me," he said.

"Please," I responded, "No need for formalities. You may call me Link."

The Zora smiled. "It has been quite a while since I've seen you! Since you've helped me find all of the stone monuments! Oh, and, as always, Link, I'm a truly and deeply sorry for the loss of her Highness, Queen Zelda."

I dropped my head slightly. 

"Thank you for your condolences," I responded quietly. "Jaihto- I have come because I need to ask your help."

"Oh?" he said. "What can I do for you?"

"I wanted to know if you could tell me a bit about what information you collected from the monuments? I'm... I'm searching for something possibly hidden within Hyrule's history. I thought the monuments might be of some help to me."

Jaihto looked puzzled. "Well, yes," he began, "how much time do you have? Might I ask what you're looking for so that I might be of more help?"

I stopped. "Honestly, I'm not really sure myself. It's more inspiration I'm looking for, I suppose..."

"Well," Jaihto said, "the Zora monuments mostly relayed the history of the Zora and the Domain. There wasn't much to be said about Hyrule itself in the monuments. Would you still like to hear it?"

I thought for a moment, slightly frustrated. I came all this way for nothing.

"Um, well I guess not if it's only about the Domain. I don't think it will have what I'm looking for."

I nodded at Jaihto and fiddled with my hands. "Thank you for your time," I said. I turned and headed for the inn. I would stay there for the night and return to the Castle and face Evangeline's wrath in the morning. 

"Wait, Link," I heard as I began to walk off. "One more thing."

I turned around and faced him. 

"There is one piece of this monument that I believe is still missing. Even with the 10 monuments,  the story seems to be incomplete. My guess is there is a monument out there that has yet to be found. If you stumble upon it, there's a chance it might have a clue to what you're looking for?"

"A missing monument?" I asked.

"I believe so. This stone alone portrays pieces of the Zora history, but the part that's incomplete is the part that speaks of Hyrulian history. It is in the beginning, and the 10 monuments you found unfortunately still leave the beginning incomplete. From what I can tell from this monument, it is about the origins of Ganon."

"I will find it," I said quickly. "Do you have any idea where it might be?"

"Unfortunately, no," the Zora responded. "We have looked everywhere. But... us Zora aren't great climbers, so we haven't looked in high places that require such physical strength. Perhaps... it is in one of the places we haven't looked."

"Thank you," I said. I had an idea of where to go.