XXI: A Sacred Weapon's Ill-Use

Link's hand shook violently as he struggled to hold the sword still. He was frantic; he tried hopelessly to calm his breath as Impa's words replayed in his head over and over again: "This realms connection to Ganon dies with you, Link." The sword jostled around his neck as Link failed to keep the sword still. He could already see the headlines– "King of Hyrule found dead in His home." What a disgrace I have become, he thought.

There will still be a queen, there will soon be an heir, he thought, justifying his decision. The Yiga Clan will have no more incentives... Hyrule will be safest once I'm gone... I have no choice, this is the only way to protect them...

He gulped and gripped the handle with both hands to steady the sword. The more he thought about it, the more he hesitated, so he neglected to think. He pursed his lips and breathed slowly in and out, his breath quivering.

 I have to do this. I have to, just do it... Just do it, Link!

The sharp hiss of a blade gliding against skin erupted against his neck. Link fell over, his body becoming limp and crashing against the floor. Metal clanked against the wooden floor... over and over again. It was as if a million things were hitting the floor. Link expected to instantly lose consciousness, but he did not. 

He waited for a few more moments... nothing. He was certainly still alive. His eyes still closed, he reached his hand up and felt his neck. There was a scrape across his neck, but no open wound. 

He sat up and opened his eyes. The Master Sword was shattered into pieces on the floor. 

"What?" Link whispered under his breath as he reached for a piece of the sword. The metal lacked its normal luster... it was quite dull.

Confused, Link looked around the room. Am I dead? he thought. He stood up, feeling his body. As his hands ran over his skin, he felt the sickening imprint on his forearm. He must have still been alive.

"Gah!" he shouted, kicking the pieces of the sword across the room. He slammed his fists into the table, cursing under his breath. Perhaps he was relieved he was alive... he didn't know.

He began to pick up the pieces of the sword and put them in a sack. He sat on the floor for a while before deciding to leave his house. Defeated and confused, he walked towards Hateno Tavern.

Link sat in the dimly lit tavern, a dark hylian hood covering his face. He traced his finger along the rim of his glass. A pungent smell of alcohol poured out of his mouth as he slouched. As far as he was aware, nobody could tell he was the king. The remains of the Master Sword sat on the bench next to him.

"Another one for you, sir?" the tavern keeper asked as he walked by, picking up Link's empty cup. Without raising his head, Link put up one finger. The tavern keeper brought Link's cup to a barrel, filling it up with Hateno beer. Link arrived at the tavern at 12 am, and it was nearing 2 am. 

The man returned with a full beer and placed it on the table. Link slid 10 rupees across the table. 

"I'll have to cut you off here soon," the tavern keeper said, "we close in 30. And you've had a hell of a lot to drink, my friend."

Link nodded and the man walked away. He began to sip slowly on his beer—he had forgotten how many he had. Link did not frequent taverns, but he felt particularly alone and had nowhere else to go.

Time passed slowly, but before he knew it, Link had finished his drink. He placed the glass on the table and immediately became lost in thought. The loud bustle of the tavern had gotten quieter as the hours passed, and Link was one of few left. He fumbled with his rupee pouch, opening it to see that he had spent almost all of the money he brought. He sighed and stood up to leave. He was not as swift as usual and fumbled with the door handle, his sack of Master Sword remains slung over his shoulder. He muttered to himself as he stumbled out the door.

Without thinking, he began walking up the hill towards the Hateno ancient tech lab. 

"Gotta fix my sword," Link mumbled under his breath. Paying close attention to every step he took, Link tried to avoid tripping up the hill as he walked. He repeated his words, stumbling along in the dark. Finally, he reached the top of the hill. A tight grip on his sack, Link began to bang on the door with his other hand.

"Purah!" he shouted. He knocked on the door again. "Puuuurrrahhhhhh!"

Nobody answered the door. Befuddled and having forgotten that it was 2 in the morning, Link stood in front of the door and did nothing.

"I am... I am the king. Why won't she open the door?"

As he raised his hand to knock once more, he had a different idea.

"Maybe she's upstairs," he said, thinking aloud.

He turned and walked to the stairs. Taking in a deep breath, Link slowly began ascend the steps.

"One... two... three," he counted with each stair he climbed. He stuck his arms out for balance as he focused on not tripping. "Twelve, Thirteen.... F-fourteen."

Link slowly reached the top of the lab and began to knock on Purah's door. 

"Purah," he said, "it's me, Link. Can I come in please?"

A rustling sound followed by frantic footsteps came from inside the room. Slowly, the door opened.

"Link, what are you doing?!" Purah whispered angrily, confused why he was there in the middle of the night. Her hair was a disaster and she was wearing a bathrobe.

"I b-broke my sword," Link said, slurring his words. He tried to show Purah the sack, but upon holding it out to her, he threw himself off balance and briskly crashed into the floor, knocking himself unconscious.