IV: Intertwined by Fate

Link's POV

I arrived swiftly at Kakariko village.

The guards of Impa's house recognized me immediately and bowed. I nodded to them as I walked passed. Impa was now very old, and we weren't sure how much time she had left.

I opened the door and she sat there with her big hat covering her face as usual.

"Impa?" I said as I walked through the entrance.

She looked up, and the light of familiarity twinkled in her eyes.

"Why, Your Highness!" Impa chuckled. "So long it has been! I am so pleased to see you!"

I walked up to her, smiling, and bent down on one knee to bow. 

"The pleasure is all mine," I said. 

"To what do I owe this surprise?" she asked.

"Impa," I said, rising slowly, "I have discovered an ancient text of sort. I ask for your wisdom in helping me decipher it."

"Hmm!" she responded softly. "For our King, my aid is freely offered. Let me see what you have."

I pulled out the Sheika slate and zoomed into the photo.

The tale of the Triforce is one that long transcends our history and is reborn time and time again. Hyrule was forged under the kind hand of Hylia, our beloved goddess, many eons ago. Hyrule's people flourished in harmony for many years, but as good exists, evil must also. The fates of the princess born of the goddesses's blood, the chosen hero, and the malicious evil known as Ganon are intertwined by the Triforce, a sacred power created by Hylia. This trinity exists outside of time, and as one exists in the physical world, the others must exist in some form. To ensure power's malice is defeated within each physical rebirth of the trinity, wisdom and courage must be present. Courage could not defeat power alone the same as wisdom could not beat power alone; wisdom and courage must coexist to prevent the rise of power. This is Hylia's command, that light beats out the darkness.

Impa stared at the slate for a long time, slightly stunned.

"The history of the Triforce was entrusted to me due to my role as the Sheika leader," Impa began, "but this monument has provided me a new perspective... though it is no secret that the princess and ganon are bound to you by fate."

I nodded, pleading for her to continue.

"It seems to me... that this relic suggests in order to fulfill Hylia's command that evil will not rise among Hyrule, the chosen hero and the princess must both be present to fight him. I believe that may be why you survived the first wave of the calamity in the Shrine of Resurrection... because the princess could not fight Ganon alone."

I instantly understood. A pit grew in my stomach followed shortly by a burst of excitement. I felt that I was beginning to sweat.

"So," I began, feigning eagerness, "if Ganon were to exist in this land right now, the princess born of the goddess's blood would need to be reborn as well? Because I could not oppose Ganon alone?"

"Well, yes, I think that's what this means, although I don't know why that would ever occur," Impa said.

I nodded as I fought my lips' urge to curl in excitement. Impa watched me as concern grew apparent on her face.

"Link," she began hesitantly, "what is it that you plan to do with this information?"

I grew still. The silence in the air had a quality to it... like a held breath.

"There is nothing I wish to do with this, I only stumbled upon this monument and sought out your interpretation of it. If anything, I will add it to the Hyrulian records back at this castle."

Impa nodded, seemingly unconvinced. 

"Is there anything else I can help you with?" she asked, almost disingenuously. 

"I believe not, but please accept my thanks for your wisdom, Impa."

I bowed once more before turning for the door.

"Your Highness," Impa said, halting me before I could leave. I turned to face her. "If Ganon were to be resurrected, it would cause unimaginable damage to a barely recovered kingdom. There is no need for a second calamity in our lifetimes, nor is there a guarantee that it could be stopped. Should fate be tampered with... it could mean our ruin. My ruin. This realm's connection to Ganon dies with you, Link."

The breath died in my lungs. "I know," I said softly. 

Impa looked me dead in the eyes, her serious expression nearly frightening me. "Good," she said sternly.

I turned and left.