XI: A Dark Proposition

Link woke with an aching in his head. His vision was blurry and he felt bile in his throat. As his eyes focused in, he saw a large group of Yiga standing around him and a tall clansman standing in front of him, back turned. Two Yiga members gripped Link's arms firmly.

"The king of Hyrule," the clansman snarled. "A pleasure to meet your acquaintance." He turned around. "Next time you enter my hideout, I would prefer you do it without killing a dozen of my clansmen."

He held his hand out to shake Link's hand in greeting. He was antagonizing, as Link's hands were held back. The Yiga grinned.

"Normally, I would have you killed or locked away for what you have done, but you've caught me in a rather generous mood. Your Highness, what brings you to our hideout?"

"You know why I'm here," Link snarled, spitting blood on the ground.

The nasty clansman swept his dark hair from his eyes before squatting down.

"It was rhetorical, hero, I know exactly why you're here." The corners of his mouth curled into an evil grin. "We took your weapons, so don't even think about trying anything."

"I'LL KILL YOU!" Link shouted, thrashing against the grip of his captors.

The leader stood up and put his hand on his hip. "No you won't, Master Link." He turned and began to walk away. "Do let me know when he has calmed down," the Yiga said to another clansman.

"What do you want with me?" Link howled, his fist clenched as his muscles writhed to break free.

"I have a proposition for you," the Yiga said, his back still turned.

"A proposition?" Link asked, shocked. "I would never negotiate with you!"

The Yiga chuckled. "I thought you might say something like that."

He turned back around and slowly started walking towards Link.

"Join the Yiga clan," he stated bluntly.

Link scoffed, a smile curling at his lips. "You amuse me. Why would I ever do something like that?"

"Because, us Yiga have recovered to be the most powerful undercover force in Hyrule. Certainly, you know this Link, no army you could amass would stand a chance against us... maybe in size, but not in skill. I don't mean to rub salt in a fresh wound, but think of the Gerudo chief, for example." He grinned. "That took three of my men."

Link thrashed instantly, breaking free from one of the clansmen. He lunged at the leader but was struck down by other Yiga. The leader did not bat an eye. His demeanor was nauseating.

"Link, your skill and power would be much more appreciated here than it is by the rest of Hyrule." He stepped forward again. "Ganon will be resurrected again due to our efforts. We are offering you a chance to be on our side this time."

Link's breaths were heavy.

"Against us, you are powerless, but with us, you will receive great reward and victory. I will give you 48 hours to consider this. Should you choose to join our forces, return here. If you do not return, we will consider you our enemy and those you love will die the same way as the Gerudo chief."

Link huffed, anger boiling behind his eyes. "No matter what reward I could acquire, no matter that there might be a reason I should want to revive Ganon," Link gulped, "you have reminded me who you truly are, and no such vicious evil will ever befall my spirit." Link gritted his teeth. "I will not help you revive Ganon."

"Whatever measly alliance you have with this world is not worth your time!" the leader snapped. "What have you gained, Link? Nothing! Nothing but sheer misery has befallen you!" He crouched down to Link's level. "How can you not see this? You should want to join us, your alliance with light has taken everything from you!"

"No," Link stammered, "Ganon took everything... He took her..."

The clansman leaned towards Link, their faces inches apart. "And he can bring her back," he said, his voice low. The color drained from Link's face.

He stood back up, frowning. "Think about it, Link," he said. "If you return, report to Elrohir."

"Who's Elrohir?" Link asked, his chest rising and falling rapidly.

"Me," the clansman replied bluntly.

Instantly, all of the Yiga vanished and Link's head hit the ground. Only then had he noticed the pounding in his head. He had no recollection of any prior events. Slowly, he stood up and limped out of the hideout. He found his weapons laying on the ground outside of the hideout.

What do I tell Buliara? he thought. His mind raced; he had no idea how to comfort the Gerudo people after the horrible massacre of their chief while also deciding how to deal with the Yiga clan in 48 hours...

Link looked down at his Shieka slate. "2:30," he said to himself. That's the time he had to return by in 2 days.

Link yelled and threw his sword on the ground, his stifled emotions pouring out of him at once. He fell to his knees, then his hands, cursing. He repeatedly slammed his fists into the ground. He breathed out, clenched his fists, and stood back up, deciding there was no time; he needed to make haste back to Gerudo town.