XXV: A Persuaded Squire

Link easily chased down the squire who was listening outside of his room. Swiftly, he grabbed the boy's arm and whipped him around.

"What were you doing?!" Link said forcefully, nearly shouting.

"N-nothing! Your Highness-"

"You were eavesdropping! Why?"

"I was... I was sent, Your Highness!" the boy stuttered, his face pale.

"Sent?" Link whispered through his teeth. "By whom?"

"Your Highness, I-I should not say-"

"You must," Link spat, gripping the boy's arm harder. He winced. "As your king, I command it!"

"It was the queen!" the boy said desperately, yearning for Link to release his arm.

"Evangeline," Link growled, a hot anger boiling within him. Without realizing, he gripped the boy's arm tighter and he cried out.

"Hush!" Link growled, impulsively striking the boy's temple with the blunt end of the fireplace poker. The boy crumpled to the ground, unconscious.

Link huffed as his arm began to sting. He cursed, gripping his forearm. It took him a few moments before he realized what he had done. Link dropped to the ground in a panic, his conscientiousness returning to him suddenly. "No," he whispered, feeling for a pulse. He was flushed with relief when he realized the squire was alive.

Link stood up with the boy in his arms, looking around desperately. He could not let anyone become aware of what just happened. Quickly, he turned and ran to Zelda's old room. Evangeline would become suspicious if the boy did not return to her, but Link needed to buy time to think. 

His mind was racing and he could not quiet it. As he tried to think, he cursed under his breath when he realized he needed to return to the Yiga Hideout. He had forgotten about the plan to steal the Sheikah records from Kakariko Village. He would have to bring the boy with him... but how?

Link laid the boy down on the dusty floor, hiding him behind the old bed. He stood up and left the room, quietly shutting the door. Concealing his panic, he walked normally through the castle halls. When he reached the main doors, he left, heading towards the stable. Upon reaching the stable, he greeted the stablehand.

"I would like a carriage and a hitch attached to my horse, please," Link said to the boy. "I am taking supplies to Gerudo Town." The boy nodded and ran out of Link's sight.

Link returned to the castle, gathering a plethora of random things to put in an old wheelbarrow. He grabbed an old wool blanket and returned to Zelda's old room.

The boy was still unconscious in the place where Link left him. Link knelt down, throwing the blanket over the squire and wrapping him up. He picked him up, carrying him slowly out of the room. Making sure the blanket covered him fully, he gently laid the boy in the wheelbarrow, covering him with the other items. He began to push everything out of the castle, praying he wouldn't see Evangeline on his way out.

To his luck, he evaded his wife and returned without problems to the stable. A wagon was harnessed to his horse. The boy who prepared everything was waiting for Link's return.

"Allow me to help you load everything, Your Highness," the boy said as he reached for the wheelbarrow.

"No!" Link said rather sharply. The boy jumped and pressed his arms tightly to his side. "No, it's alright," Link said. "I am appreciative of all you have done already."

"Oh," the boy said as he watched Link fumble a rather large mass into the carriage. "Of course, Your Highness."

When Link had everything loaded, he mounted his horse and began to leave Castle Town. The young stablehand pushed the wheelbarrow into storage. Link would arrive at the hideout after nightfall.