XVII: An Unusual Outburst

Link's POV:

I woke up the next morning feeling better than usual. Evangeline lay fast asleep next to me. I stood up quietly and entered the bathroom, dousing my face with water from the sink. I stretched, smiled, and thought about what I would eat for breakfast. The thought died instantly as the realization of what I had done spawned in my mind.

My face fell expressionless. Breathing heavily, I tugged at my sleeve. The eye of the Yiga was perfectly imprinted in my flesh. I thought maybe everything was a dream.

I stared at my reflection blankly in the mirror. My mind was racing and yet no thoughts came to the surface.

Resist.

It played in my mind over and over again, frustrating me beyond end. What does it mean, "resist?" How could I reverse the damage I have done? I shuttered as dark thoughts crossed my mind- thoughts of chaos and ruin. The streets flooded with screaming people, my citizens... This is not what I wanted. This is not what she would have wanted.

Feeling as if I had no other option, I decided to return to the Yiga Clan hideout. Though counterintuitive, as well as it being the last place I wanted to be, I needed to stay on top of the clan's plan. I would leave in a hour.

I packed my bags and slipped out of the bedchambers. I could not let anybody see my arm.

As I fled down the halls, I ran past the chef.

"Your majesty, for breakfast this morning-"

"Not now," I snapped, "My apologies."

I certainly drew attention to myself as I made haste through the castle. In my rush, I managed to catch glimpses of the construction being done on the castle. It was a haunting reminder that the effect of the Calamity have not yet spared us... It was certainly not long past.

The royal guards opened the main castle doors for me. I nodded and sped through the entrance, making haste towards the royal stables. 

As I hurried through castle town, a helpless voice called out to me.

"Your Majesty," a skinny man cried, "Please help us. My family... we're hungry. Our wheat has gone bad, we have no bread. Please... my daughter is sick."

"I-I am sorry," I stammered, half listening, "I cannot help you right now, I have duty to attend to."

As I began to turn, he grasped at my cloak.

"Please, Your Majesty! Are we not also your duty? The people are hungry, we have no money! You are our king!"

I whirled around and grabbed the man by his collar, holding him in my grasp. Anger exploded within me.

"Do you not know I could have you beheaded for speaking to me so!" I shouted.

I drew his face close to mine, striking fear into his expression.

Suddenly, I dropped the man. My neck began to twitch, tossing my head from one side to another. A sharp pain I had not realized until now began to fade in my forearm.

"Are- are you okay, Your Highness?" the man whimpered.

I placed my hand on my knee and got a hold of myself.

"Yes," I responded breathlessly. "P-Please, just... forget about this interaction. I will return to you, I promise it."

I took a deep breath and turned towards the stables. Slowly, I began walking there. Without speaking a word to the stable hands, I took my horse. My morale was very low. I had no idea what just happened within me.

After leading my horse out of castle town, I began my long journey to Gerudo desert.