xvii. i loved you at your darkest

if there's one thing the gods love, it's tragedy

with wings that burn and boys who fall.

⋆₊ ⋆☼ ⁺₊⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

Luke

Things at camp were looking bleak. Just over a week had gone by since Percy, Annabeth, and Grover had set out for the underworld. They only had a few days left to complete their quest. Luke only had a few days left to finish his mission. He had promises to deliver on and he had to make up with Andromeda. She had to see his side, otherwise, this would all be for nothing. 

The weather had been weird ever since Luke woke on Saturday morning after their disastrous game of capture the flag, and the campers were feeling the effects of it. They were on edge, wandering from activity to activity without really feeling it. They would stare up at the storm clouds brewing above the camp and whisper. Whisper of war. 

The cabins were starting to take sides. Everyone knew that the fight was between Zeus and Poseidon, but the cabins were starting to pledge their allegiance to the side they thought their godly parent would be fighting on. Fights were breaking out between cabins, reflecting the storm brewing on the North coast as the sea churned and thunder rumbled. 

Luke was in Chiron's office up at the big house. The old centaur had run off to deal with a fight, which gave Luke the perfect opportunity to snoop around. The door had been locked, but that was light work for Luke. Inside, Luke had shuffled through papers on Chiron's desk, careful not to disturb anything too much. He wasn't even sure what he was looking for, he just knew he had to do something. 

He wiped his eyes, trying to wake himself up. He had had another dream the night before. He still remembered the words of his master, do you think you're special, lightning thief? Do you think you cannot be replaced? I gave you the tools to steal the master bolt, only to watch it taken from you. That mistake has been corrected. But there is too much at stake for you to fail me again. There is war ahead of us, the war beyond Zeus and Poseidon's war. Give me reason to question your worthiness again, and there is another that just might be ready to take your place. 

Luke couldn't fail again. He thumbed through a book. Maybe Chiron had some information here on Ares, some weakness Luke could exploit. At the very least, maybe he could find a way to keep his master from invading his dreams. 

"Luke?" 

Luke nearly jumped out of his skin. He spun around and to his surprise, he saw Percy and Annabeth shimmering in the air behind him. He took a deep breath to steady himself. He had to act composed, not guilty. 

"Annabeth?" He asked. Annabeth's face broke into a smile. "Percy? Are you okay?" 

"Yeah, we're fine," Annabeth said. "Where's Chiron?" Her voice was a little distorted through the Iris message.