viii. and we call them our heroes

i am a very simple girl, very simple

i only know how to love, how to care

⋆₊ ⋆☼ ⁺₊⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆

Luke

"Is there a Greek god of disappointment?" Percy asked, dejected, as the three demigods sat together with a few other Hermes campers in the pavilion during the lunch hour. "Maybe someone should ask him if he's missing a kid."

Luke was about to comfort Percy, but Chris spoke before he could.

"Oizys," he said. "But she's a goddess. And her whole thing isn't really disappointment, it's more like failure."

Percy looked down at his food again. 

"Gee, Chris," Andromeda muttered, elbowing him. "Way to make him feel better."

"We're gonna find the thing that you're good at. I know it," Luke said, trying to put as much confidence into his voice as he could.

Andromeda nodded in agreement, her eyes full of determination. "Absolutely, Percy. Everyone has their strengths; we just need to discover yours."

Percy managed a small smile, appreciative of their support. "Thanks, guys. I just... I don't want to be the disappointment demigod forever."

Luke leaned back, crossing his arms. "You won't be. Remember, it took time for all of us to figure things out when we first got here. And look at Andromeda; she's been waiting for her godly parent for five years, and she's still one of the most incredible people at camp."

Andromeda blushed at the compliment. "Damn, Luke. Flattery will get you everywhere."

Luke grinned, "Just stating the facts."

Behind them, a bell chimed and the Hermes campers began to get up from their benches with their plates of food.

"Our turn," Luke said, trying to keep the bitterness out of his voice. He didn't understand why he still went along with this stupid tradition. It wasn't like Hermes had ever answered one of his prayers.

"Our turn for what?" Percy asked.

"Burnt offerings," Andromeda said. Percy still hadn't gotten to his feet.

"The gods like the smell," Luke explained. "So it gets their attention before you say a prayer."

"They like the smell of burnt mac and cheese?" Percy asked, his brow furrowed. Andromeda laughed.

"They like the smell of begging," Chris clarified with a chuckle and approached the brazier with his plate of food.

"You burn what you'll miss the most," Luke said. "Then they know you really mean what you're about to say so they listen." Luke followed Andromeda to the brazier and got into line behind her. Percy followed a minute later, still looking confused, but willing to follow along. Ahead of him, Luke saw Andromeda toss in the ripest looking strawberry and it went up into smoke.